I'm thinking of moving to Australia? Is it a good place to live?

I currently live in the UK a lot of my friends have moved to Australia. I think I need a change too, and it seems like a really cool country. Just want to hear your views on Australia-The people, culture and way of life? People Australia and other countries who have heard about it or experienced would love to hear your thoughts and opinions as this is a life changing decision for me. Also the visa process? Thanks :)

I was also thinking Sydney :)

57

Most Helpful Guy

• Sydney's a very nice place and I like the country in general. I found the people very outgoing and friendly in general. The weather is far nicer than the UK as well. Sydney seemed crowded and fast paced compared to other parts of the country I visited, but if you're used to big cities I don't think you would find it too difficult to adapt.

Being from the US, I don't think there'd be much culture shock for me if I moved there... driving on the left would take some getting used to (not an issue for you assuming you drive in the UK). Not sure about the visa process. I went on a tourist visa which would have let me stay for up to 3 mos. I think. That was approved very quickly, but I'm sure it's more complicated if you're moving there.

• Sounds great! Thanks. I think I will be moving very soon ;)

What Guys Said 6

• Australia is great. There's only one severe problem. Since there is a hole in the ozone layer above a large part of Australia most expose themselves to harmful UV rays that cause cancer. These UV rays have no filter to pass through because of the hole in the ozone. I believe the hole in the ozone is directly of above sydney and few other major cities, there.

Australians have always seemed very very pleasant and easy going. They do their own thing, and they really don't care what others think.

You must keep in mind that you need to brace yourself for a culture shock and the possible adjustment that might be.

Plus, the wild animals in the outback are not just "wild"...they are dangerous. You should get used to seeing and hearing about the dangers and the beauties of the outback and the place as a whole.

I'd say the visa process, just like anything else...is a tedious process which could last for months, so get going on it now.

• Awww sounds great...I think I'm making the move...Cheers :)

• I'm an aussie, and can I just say. Bloody plane people. Stop the planes Abbott, stop the planes!

Australia can be a nice place to live, but don't get it into your head it's perfect. I think Sydney is pretty, but wouldn't want to live there. I'm a 'country' kid (but still in a city) and I much prefer the less crowded areas.

I've no idea how the visa process goes, but our biggest immigrants are from the UK, so I'd say it can't be too hard.

• if you are an internet person, you should read into the internet censorship and other fiascos going on currently

see: link

read the linked articles too

• Minus the Government corruption it's good here.

• you've ever herd of the kiss down under lol jk

• no

I am Australian born. It's not a good place to live IMO. Well, you could like it. I plan to leave here though.

I'd rather live in the UK or USA

• Lol well I'm still thinkling about it but overall majority of people on here and people I know have told me good things...So I'm like 95% sure I'll be moving in the next 9 months. I'm starting the visa process now :)

• Definetly not lol....Im trying to get away from depressing weather.

• I hope you don't mean rain. Because it's raining a lot where I am at the moment being that it's winter. And the summers are absolute terrible YOU DIE. It gets to 40 C, (105) F!

What Girls Said 5

• are you mad? everything in that place can kill you. the plants, the animals... if ever there was an island of death, it would be Australia.

ok that was only partially kidding.. but really.. SCARY stuff down undah.

If you're not sure, go visit for awhile and get a feel for it. Stay a month or two. Some places are better to visit but not live for people.

Then there is the immigration racket and all the money and medical forms and more forms... that's a long process in itself also not for everyone.

• So not true, there are a lot of posionous things down here you are right but we are in no way classified as 'the island of death" try south america or africa

• Only thing I've been bitten by in Australia is ants. Nothing is that dangerous as people make it out to be.
      ... Except drop bears. But If you're with a Aussie friend you should be safe. ... But only like 4 or 5 people die to them a year, so you should be good.

• I'm an aussie, I can't recommend it enough, if your looking for a great place to live, work and play. The people are great, our beaches are great , the cities are very multicultural and interesting. Sydney has beautiful weather, I feel sorry for you over there in the UK, your summer is like our winter!

Don't stress about the dangerous animals too much. yes we have yucky spiders, and out of the 25 deadly snakes in the world, Australia has 23 of them. but if you lived the city or suburbs you would rarely come across them.

The culture shock thing would be very mild compared to other parts of the world, Australia is very 'Americanised' and there really isn't any strange customs or laws that would be so different from the UK. A majority of the population is from your part of the world origionally.

Yes seriously, always wear sunscreen, if you are fair you can burn red after 5 mins in the summer sun. But enough about the negatives, our festivals and parties go nuts and its heaps of fun to live here.

Come over and give it a try, you won't regret it !

• Thanks for the info! :)

• Yes!~ Australia is great! Just be careful of things like sunburn, drop bears and slow internet!

• Also, you gotta know all the Australian memes. Like Frank Walker from National Tiles.

HELLOOO…..!
      FRANK WALKER FROM NATIONAL TILES.
      THIS WEEK NATIONAL TILES HAVE A BEAUTIFUL RANGE OF POLISHED PORCELAIN FLOOR TILES SLASHED BY UP TO 30% AND MORE….
      YES, THAT'S RIGHT, UP TO 30% ON POLISHED PORCELAIN FLOOR TILES…
      BUT ONLY UNTIL THIS SUNDAY….!!
      RUSH INTO NATIONAL TILES & SAVE!!

• I'm from the US but many of my friends went to Australia(Sydney) in a school exchange program and they loved it there. Many of them actually ended up staying their and getting jobs. It seems like a nice place to live for people in our age bracket.

• idk if it's a good place to live, buy my ex boyfriend is from Sydney,...all I can say is from what I know (him and his friends and family)... these people was definitly mental...he wanted to suicide when I dumped him...thats the impression I had about people from there, (but no one can generalize), just wanted to share what I know about it.

oh, by the way, I remember he used to say that australia is a nice place to live, good quality of life...wish you luk!