It's been 5+ months, but it still hurts deep. What does it mean?

My ex broke up with me around Christmas time. We were long distance for 3 years. I have drowned myself in work, became vice president of my school's International Students club, hang out with friends, entered a Japanese speech contest and got 3rd place I failed a speech that I was forced to give to the entire school, when I was in 5th grade. Last minute and unprepared I embarrassed myself, the laughter and shame shackled me my confidence ever since. This was such a big deal for me, yet I feel so empty inside. Everyday gets worse, I look at other girls and it just doesn't feel right. I have heard it all before about moving on, just work on yourself, go date other girls.

If I can't let go because my very being won't let me, what does it mean that I overcame my fears, gained new skills and got a better job that it does not feel meaningful?

It feels like my heart is being crushed. My body just feel so heavy every day. it just gets worse.

What Girls Said 1

• Same here. Only difference is it lasted 2 years. I finished college, got a scholarship from another university, got a nice job and i'm set to move to another country. All things i only dreamed of and told my ex. Now that we are not together i feel empty. It's been 3 months and i still feel like crap. My best advice? Keep yourself busy, keep achieving, it will only add to you in the long run even if you don't feel it now.

What Guys Said 1

• There is no fixed amount of time on grieving, which is effectively what you are going through. It can take longer than 5 months. You have to stay the course and it's important that you realise it will get better. It may be a marathon but there is a finish line. There will be a time when this doesn't hurt anymore and when you are ready to see other girls for themselves rather than as a comparison to your ex.

Nobody said it would be easy.