I dumped my girlfriend and everybody wants to kill me. What did I do wrong? Any advice?

I'm new to this site but could use some help.

So, I broke up with my girlfriend of 4 months a few days ago. I don't regret leaving her, but I regret breaking her heart. She was nice, but that's all the upside. She has very bad anxiety and the relationship was just miserable. The sex was awful. "Am I doing right?" "Ow, I'm sorry." We could never do anything in public without her clinging to me like a child. Parties were always terrible with her. I was trying to get her out of her shell, but she always just asked to leave. When I wanted to go to a party, I was always guilted into staying or I would go and she lit up my phone. I could write a book but, I just broke up with her in a very respectable way. But, she and her friends have been sending me all of this shit for breaking up with her, when I was so unhappy (Just Google image search "I thought you were different" and I have gotten just about every one). I have been talking to other girls and her friends just text me that I'm an asshole for talking to other girls (my ex doesn't).

I want to be happy too. Her friends are awful. My ex is probably in a puddle of her own tears. It was only about 4 months too. What did I do wrong? What should I do?

42

Most Helpful Girl

• You didn't do anything wrong, simply put you and your girlfriend were incompatible, your personalities didn't jell. When you break up with a girlfriend, her friends will almost always take her side and they will think you are the worst scum on earth. Best case scenario, they will all give you the silent treatment, worst case scenario, they go out of their way to make you feel awful. Turns out her friends are going out of their way to text you frequently to make you feel bad. They're doing this to punish you for breaking up with their friend, they're doing this out of loyalty to her.

.. Why don't you just block their numbers? They're her friends and why do you want to read shit that makes you feel awful? Why put yourself through it? Why not block their numbers and/or block them on social media? Why put yourself through that pain if you don't have to? Unless you secretly feel guilty about what you did and are thus accepting being punished, in which case, you need to get over breaking up with her and forgive yourself.

Most Helpful Guy

• You didn't do anything wrong. They are just giving you a hard time and defending their friend. I wouldn't take it personally. Just move on and do what you want to do. After a while they will stop.

What Girls Said 3

• I think you're lucky you got out of the relationship when you did. Ignore the texts. Eventually they will stop. Get on with your life and good luck on your next relationship.

• I don't think you did anything wrong, her friends are just sticking up for her. Give it time and you'll both probably move on and she'll feel better. Don't reply to her friends they were never apart of your relationship so don't let them make you feel bad

• Her friends are crazy. Your ex will get over it. If not, that's her problem really.

What Guys Said 1

• You made the right call.