Remaining friends with an ex?

What are your thoughts about being friends with an ex-girlfriend/ex-boyfriend?

If if you want to add any thoughts, comment

• Yes, I'm friends with my ex
  • No, I'm not friends with my ex
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1031

Most Helpful Guy

• good for you if you're just friends, but that sets off an unimaginable number of red flags to someone if you're dating someone new

• I agree with you completely, it definitely is a red flag.

Most Helpful Girl

• hi, i am still very good friends with my first serious relationship married we have known each other since 11 years old, i have also continued a fantastic friendship with my childrens father another friend since i was 13, one of the proudest accomplishments for me is along with my ex husband and the father of my children that between us all as the grown ups we can all get along and get over issues and maintain friendships which are worth holding onto despite that in this life the closeness of a relationship in the personal one on one sense has had its time and we can move on. ftr my ex husband and the father of my children were childhood friends too, i have had no issues with any of their partners either and have had friendships and trust with these women. i totally appreciate that im pretty fortunate in this regard but like i said one of the top proudest things as a mother i have been able to show my children xx

What Guys Said 30

• I'm not friends with my ex, at least not with anyone with whom I've been involved in a long enough relationships.

The only ex I keep a proper relation with is my ex-wife, because we have three kids in common. The needs of our children overweight our differences, and our unresolved issues.

Precisely I think it is the unresolved issues that make it difficult, and risky, to try and be friends with an ex you had certain level of intimacy and bond with (that is, relations that lasted for long enough to create that bond over the sexual level).

Also, I percieve that if you had a sexual connection in the past, that connection is going to be a ghost that you might not see but still be there. And if you are in a new commited relationship, it therefore carries additional dangers.

• I have never dated a friend. Most of the time it was more of a "get to know you period" type of friendship before dating and going out. So when the relationship ends I don't see it as losing a friend and I don't want anything to do with them because their primary thing was to be a gif.

• I picked no because I'm not friends mith majority of my exes. The ones I'm friends with we're not really close anymore. The reasons why I stayed friends with an ex is because we were friends before hand or we were in a close social circle and it was just less awkward to stay that way. If you're able to treat your ex like a decent friend and they're able to do the same then I see no problem with it. Just give it a lot of space.

• I dont understand why so many seem to have issues with it. But yeah im friends with my ex, tried to be friends with my other ex, but just didn't work out that one, although think is probably more doable that at least now, when gone several years now. in either case an ex is an ex for a reason. I sure as hell dont ever wanna go backwards in life or back together with any ex.

• Not being friends with an ex, would make me think there was no solid basis for the relation in the first place...

• Ex's are ex's for a reason, and I don't interact with them once they're not part of my life any more.

• All of my exes are either dead, assumed dead, or I wish they were, so no, not friends. I tend to never see them again once we split.

• I think it's dumb.

• Nope! Exes are exes for a reason. I wouldn't date a girl who was friends with her ex.

• Terrible idea jelousy always comes into play then it becomes a game of cat and mouse trying to get back at each other

• Its probably not common, and can be hard to swallow by the current girlfriend... may be a problem. But if its really just a friendship, and both know for sure they dont want anything with the other... wish may be even more rare... its ok.

• Generally, I am friends with an ex no more than 6 months. Just then seems to drop off especially if one or both start seeing new people.

• No deal.

Once we break up, they're out of my life for good.

• I'm friends with most of them. But with some it's just not possible

• We're on good terms, but I wouldn't call her a friend.

• Don't its not really a good idea especially if you want to have a relationship with someone else. Even if you are faithful its hard to trust that its legit just friends

• never!!!
    i would be lying to myself cuz once you love you can't be friends with that person

• it was really bad twice, but one of my ex is my best friend and we have kinda best relationship, we talk to each other about anything and everything but still remain besties

• I'm friends with two of my exes, the other two not so much. It just depends on the person and what happened between the two of you.

• I'm not friends with them, and I doubt I'll even see them again

• it's ok

• As a guy f**king NO!

• Depends, some ex's don't end in good terms. But if in good terms, why not

• no, there should be no reason to be talking to an ex. they are ex's

• Usually fuck my ex'es

• I am with most. I see no problem. I do my best to finish it on a good note, so there's that. past love is past love

• i would like to occasionnally have sex with all my exes. maybe also remain friends, but who cares. life is short, and i don't want to bother too much

• I'm cordial with mine because I've got a 35 year old daughter with her. Here's the kicker tho.. we don't have to be. I'm in California, my ex is in Michigan and my daughter is in New York, LMFAO. I see my ex in N. Y. @ Christmas time at my daughters. This year I want to host.

• no, absolutely not

• I see all these posts about EXes... Why does my ex not like me? This and that about an ex... should we get back together...

An EX means.. in the past. In my life, after any break up, an EX is out of my mind. I move on almost immediately and never think of, try to contact, check up on, etc...

Breakups happen for a reason...

I'm not talking about someone who moved away... I'm talking about relationships that ended due to cheating, abuse, incompatibility and such...

Who CARES about an EX? Who cares about what an EX thinks of them?

Then "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly.

ALSO... getting back together after a breakup.. or chasing someone to get back together... sorry folks, the same issues are gonna be there.

This "closure" What's that about? No such thing... So what? It's over.. there is your closure.

Move on... where you found one guy/gal, there will always be more.

• as the person who wrote the one about getting back with an ex its all about circumstances and how good of a friend they are to you, my ex was my best friend and I found myself wanting to send her jokes and memes, I have come to the conclusion I cannot take my ex back, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna burn that bridge, she still means a lot to me.

What Girls Said 9

• i am friends with one ex (we were friends who tried to be romantic and, when it didn't work, just went back to being friends).

the others, however? let's just say that, if i were walking by and they happened to be on fire, i wouldn't exactly rush to their aid.

• I have only stayed friends with an ex once, because I was young, dumb and still in love and thought I couldn't bare to cut off all contact. This was more emotionally straining then completely cutting Contact and moving on like I should. I dont see the point in staying friends with an ex unless you're planning on getting back together. There will most likely be feelings that come back, jealousy issues , unresolved resentment and anger , or the same fights will happen over again. Not worth it.

• I'm friends with my first ex. It took a long time to reach that stage but it was possible once we both healed. With my most recent ex, everything is still very raw so we're not at the "friend stage" just yet.

• No. We broke up. I have plenty of friends, I don't need another one who I used to sleep with.

• I'm not friends with my ex, that one is blocked and deleted since I didn't want negativity. But I am friendly with other guys I dated (if we bump into each other at a party we will talk) but not super close friends.

• After a break up i have been friends with my ex. Granted it didn't last to long afterwards cuz we moved on to like other people while still having feelings for each other. He now has a girlfriend and Im currently chasing after another guy. We dont talk anymore and Im honestly really glad we don't.

• You can be friends with your ex if you have a decent relationship.

• I have 2 exs.. and I'm still friends with them..

• Nope!