How can you be friends with an ex, but move on at the same time?

I met a guy almost 8 months ago. We had a long distance something, we haven't quite labeled our thing. I fell for him hard, he seemed like he fell for me too. But a month ago he told me we should stop this whole thing because it's not doing good for any of us. We remained friends though. The kind of friends that text each other every 2 or 3 days and flirt slightly. I know i have to move on because we don't stand a chance. If it wasn't for the distance, we would have been together and would still have hope. Now all we have are friendly texts. But I can't seem to move on if we still keep in touch. At the same time though, I want to talk to him, I want to know how he's doing. I'm breaking my own heart doing this. I also constantly check him online. I don't know how I will cope with the fact that he'll soon be dating other girls. Why does he still want to be friends with me? How can I find confort in this situation, without losing contact with him?
2
1