Was I right to break off this 'friendship'?

2 years ago I met this girl online who was going through a rough period in her life. I helped her through it by supporting her and eventually we developed feelings for each other. We formed an online relationship which went very far and it stuck for over a year.

This was my first relationship with anyone so I figured that because I wanted to make her happy, I loved her. Last summer I realized there was more to it than that and, at the end of the day, I didn't need to be in a relationship with her. We broke up and she was devastated. I felt terrible. I didn't know back then what I do now, I convinced myself that she was the one.

We tried being friends for a year but it never worked. She is still going through problems in her life and I was her only friend. Our conversations only caused her more pain, I knew the relationship wasn't going anywhere, and she couldn't get over me as long as we still talked. Due to this, I told her we need to end it off.

I feel like a monster, I just want her to be happy, and I know that it can't happen with me. I need her to move on and I suggested she meet new people. Am I a bad person for doing this?

What Girls Said 1

• I think that you tried your best, if she can't move on while being friends. So don't feel bad for trying your best, sometimes things just don't work out the way you would like them to.

• Thank you for the help. I'm worried because she has nobody around her she can talk to about her problems. The people she used to know left her and now I have too. I'm afraid she's going to go through a really rough period and I won't be around to know about it.

• Maybe it's a good thing that she will go through it alone. She can learn to handle the situation by herself

What Guys Said 0