Does minimizing contact with an ex really work to get them back?

I was just wondering I've heard a lot that if you minimize contact with your ex, he would miss you and probably come back to you. I'm pretty sure it's worked before, but what if you and your ex decide to stay best friends, then what? Also, what if you do minimize contact, and control your emotions when you're around with what if they think you've moved on so they end up moving on?

During a break-up, how do you really know if he still truly loves you, but he doesn't want to be with you because of the fact he feels as if you're smothering him?

So, basically there's no point for me to keep hoping that one day we will end up back together? I should just move on?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• If the break up was because he felt smothered he may have been wanting to "move on" and just being in the relationship he didn't want maybe was making him feel "smothered". But if he truly loves you he would definately miss you with no contact. Wait at least 5 full days before you make contact with him from the last time you had contact. Even if you just run into him somewhere--wait 5 full days from that time. Start over counting the days every time you see/talk to him. If he is missing you he will contact you each time before it gets to the 5th day. Also be busy a lot so it doesn't appear you are sitting around waiting for him. You will either get over him or he will come begging for you to come back. Also make a rule that if he calls you after 7:00pm you don't see him that evening but maybe make a date for the next day or so.

What Guys Said 3

• any guy who is decent with women is going to move on

• Sure no contact will make him miss you, and if anything you might miss him more. Because women need things like that. I personally don't know of any couples aside from one who broke up and still managed to stay friends, best friends at that. It's impossible I feel to seperate emotions when there is constant contact.

• You can't make a guy like you, want to be with you, or make him come back, if he is into you he will contact you and want to spend time together etc... if he has feelings for you or if he doesn't want anything to do with you he won't contact you...

• What about the guy that does keep contacting you, even though HE doesn't want a committed relationship?

What Girls Said 1

• You say you want to stay "best friends" so how do you have "no contact" while staying best friends? Best friends talk about their relationships, so will you be comfortable talking to him about girls that he is interested in, in the future? It is very hard to have feelings for an ex and still be friends. Not impossible but not very much fun.

• I'm saying right now we're friends and everything, but I was just wondering if I stopped talking to him if he's going to miss me miss or whatever. If there's no hope of me and him being together ever again, I will cut contact with him...