Please help, I haven't contacted my ex for over a month and I was wondering if this is the best way to talk?

We have only spoken a few times since we broke up a few months again and it's been very bitter on his behalf and the last text from me was a little mean also so I stopped texting him.
Now does saying 'Hey, can we talk' sound okay?
and then somewhere into the conversation saying ' I'm sorry for the past, and for being immature when we were together and emotional' Will that make any difference? See he was my bestfriend for years prior to dating and we were together a long time, and we want to be in each other's lives, I want him to back right now because I'm hurting but he said only in the future bc I stress him out.. which is unfair as he broke up with me by just blocking me and cut me off completely, I didn't even know we broke up until a week later..
+1 y
We broke up because we were arguing a lot at the end of our relationship
3
2