Getting over someone?

I met this guy when I was 11 and I really liked him. At some point he said he liked me back and we were sort of a thing. We never talked much in person bc we were both shy or whatever but it was as real as our naive selves could handle.

I'm 17 now and we go to different schools. We don't talk much anymore but we're on good terms... I've never really moved on I guess? I saw him last summer and concluded that we're not, and never were compatible... Seeing him once more really helped me accept that we weren't meant to be and start to move on.

Recently, I found out that he's seeing someone and I guess I'm really happy for him, that he's found someone that makes him happy and all that but I can't help but feel kinda sad? I don't feel like crying like I used to but it still hurts a little. I know I could never make him as happy as whoever he chooses to date, no matter how hard I tried.

I don't know man, why is the moving on process so long and ineffective? Throughout these 5 years, I've tried liking other people, cutting off contact... I don't want to go on and continue to dwell on some elementary school crush that I once naively claimed to be love.

Thanks if you actually read this lmao... appreciate any thoughts or advice about my stupid stubborn feelings 🙃
Getting over someone?
2
0