My boyfriend broke up with me but said that he wants to stay in contact and wants a relationship with me one day?

My ex boyfriend and I were in a relationship for 5 months before we broke up. We are both 20 and when we first started dating he did have a demanding job and I was a full time college student, yet we still saw each other as much as we could. However, he got laid off from his job and then got a new job that was closer to him but same demanding hours. After he lost his first job he stopped being as attentive and asking to hang out and was a even worse texter than normal. I brought this up to him when I explained I felt like he ignored me for an entire week and he said he was just playing video games and that I could have texted him. Fast forward a few days after he finally started his new job and I'm the one who is always trying to text or send him a snapchat. I became fed up with this so last week I sent him a text asking if he wanted to break up. I'm confused because he left so many open doors for a relationship between us in the future but wanted to break up before ruining our relationship sooner and said he wanted to try again when he got more time. I'm so sorry for the long post but this honestly confuses me because he had told me he loved me and it just seems like breaking up was so easy for him, he also said that if an opportunity for me to be in a relationship comes up, I shouldn't base my decision off of him. I guess I just wanna know is, was he just dropping lines about having a relationship in the future?
6
1