Can men pretend to love and care for a girl they dont really love? not for months but for years?

so my ex broke up with me a few weeks ago we had a really bad fight things escalated and he said that he doesn't know about the future but right now he wants to break up. I didn't plead and just tried once to handle things and then I gave up. but he said somethings that showed that somehow I was the one who did the hurting. and he said that he told his friends that he'll stay single forever and when we fought he said to me that he never wanted to be with me. I'm pretty sure he said that in anger because I always felt in our relationship he was the one who loved and cared more. and I was the spoiled one. so guys help
4
2