Why did he randomly dump me after so long?

My boyfriend and I had been dating for a year and to be honest I did think we had a special connection and that our feelings were growing for one another, but I was not naive I didn't go over the top with feelings. He even said we had a special connection it was not just one sided. Recently he suddebly started being a bit distant, he kept saying it was because he was revising for exams and slightly rude to me and it was so confusing because he was telling me he knows that he should be treating me much better. I felt extremely underappreciated for being patient with him whilst he acted like an asshole. He then went to watch a movie with a friend that he knew I wanted to watch with him and adding that to the rude treatment I had enough and he said he needed space from me to think about himself but not to cheat on me. Three days later he is back and he then breaks up with me saying he can't see a future with me, but that he cares about me so much and he was crying to me which is something he has never done before, but he said most of the problems in the relationship were because of him but he is going through an identity crisis which could be contributing to this, but he acknowledged that I was a very good and loyal and beautiful girlfriend so none of this makes sense to me. I was extremely dignified about the breakup and said I hope he finds himself and that I won't try and force him to stay, but why is he thinking about the "future"? We're both 17 and I was just takinh each day as it comes. Or did he just break up because he wasn't thinking straight and will come back hopefully soon?
Why did he randomly dump me after so long?
Add Opinion