What reasons would you consider as justified and valid if you want to break a serious relationship? Be it bf/gf, engagement or even marriage?

This question is for both guys and girls.

510

Most Helpful Guy

• The simplest reason: because you want to break up with that person. No further reason beyond that is required and neither you nor your significant other has an obligation to stay in a relationship with you. Justification for making the decision to break up is not required for the break up to happen.

• What is the best answer to give if someone asks you the reason of breaking up? Given that the person knows how close you were with your significant other.

• That is up to the person who is breaking off the relationship. Ideally they would want to be nice but being honest is also ok if they don't mind hurting the other person's feelings.

Most Helpful Girl

• All relationships have their bumps and your partner will annoy the heck out of you at times no matter how much you love them... But if you are unhappy and honestly cannot see things working out in the long term, no matter how hard you try, then that is a good enough reason to let it go. Holding onto something and hoping it'll change is doing nothing but hindering both of you from having a fulfilling life.

What Guys Said 9

• I think that love should be a positive emotion - always wanting what is best for someone else. I'm not sure why marriage vows ask people to stay together no matter what. I think that sometimes the most loving thing for people to do is to let one another go. If people are together, but they are holding each other back, then there is probably other people out there that are better suited for them.

• Anything, if you're unhappy and want to leave a relationship then leave, you don't need any excuse, and if you do need an excuse then just tell the truth, say you're unhappy and leave.

• Honestly I think that if u don't feel happy with the relationship, or like things r just starting to not work out or something is a good reason. I would just talk to that person though, and break it easy to them and make it feel like the relationship ended on a good note for both of u

• Because you want to? In the Western world, you can just leave for any reason, and you don't owe an explanation to anyone. That goes for both sexes.

• I mean u could just leave them without explaining anything, but then u look like a bit of a dick/bitch.

• My own insecurities getting the best of me or cheating.

• Cheating or if things are really going downhill and all the love has gone.

• I broke things off with my ex because she cheated on me.

• cheating or lack of trust

• cheating. that's the only thing i think is unforgivable. Why? she'll think she can just do it over and over again, without punishment, because all she'll do is say sorry every time..

i mean, yeah, there are things that are up there but, cheating is just, a no no

What Girls Said 4

• I left my Ltr because I was unhappy. He was boring. No sense of humor. Never held a conversation. There were little things I asked him to do for me and he wouldn't. I'm glad I didn't marry him. I don't think I ever loved him.

• Because I would want to? And that should be enough.

• Cheating, abuse, rape, too controlling... .

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more