How do you move on when you truly loved someone you broke up with?

Ok, so I broke up with my girlfriend last October, and it was my fault. I thought we were being totally honest with each other, and when I said some things, it hurt her feelings, and she distanced herself. add on top of that cancelled date nights (due to me either being really tired from work or no money to go out) and one thing led to another and I ended it. she still wants to be friends, but even now, if I see her in person the feeling of love I have towards her wells up and bursts out and it's hard for me to deal with. I wrote a letter to her about how I saw things, how I felt she didn't try to save the relationship, etc. after I wrote I felt better like I was ready to move on, but I will never send it to her. I saw her a few days after I wrote that letter, and everything came back. I was friends with her for nearly 2 years before she gave me a chance, and I was always looking at it as we would be together, and once we started dating I was so happy. I love her more than she knows. but I tried to rekindle it and she turned me down, saying she doesn't want to lose me as a friend, and if we try again then we probably wouldn't speak anymore. we hardly talk as it is, and it's usually just over Skype. I keep my distance on purpose, I want to be with her. but if she doesn't want that I have to move on, my problem is how?

10

What Girls Said 1

• Have you tried to actually ask her straight forward to try again in the relationship? Was that when she said she isn't interested? If so, then the only thing you can do is to allow time to heal. There's no easy fix for a broken heart. I was dumped 3 months ago by the love of my life who I thought was going to be my partner for life. It hurts like hell some days but then other days I'm good. It gets better that's all I can say. It may not feel that way at the start but it does hurt less as time passes.

If I were you I'd tell her that she says she doesn't want to lose you as a friend but she WILL lose you if she doesn't want to try again as you are not interested in friendship if you can't be together.

• I did ask her clearly to try and get back together, and she rejected me, using the "losing me as a friend if it doesn't work out again" line to soften it.

and it's not that I don't want to be friends again, but I just love her too much right now to really try to be just friends atm.

• Yeah no breakups are shit regardless of how it ended :/ Rejection always hurts. Good breakup or bad breakup. I wish I could say that it would be easier but it's not. As long as you know you're not alone and that all will get better in time xx

• thanks for your advice rabbit! it helps a lot to hear advice!

What Guys Said 0