Why does my car battery terminal spark when I try hooking it back up?

So when I try putting on my negative terminal my car will spark which worry's me so now am thinking of getting my car towed or having my mechanic friend do it. Can anyone explain to me what's going on? So when I put my battery terminal on I'll put on the with positive cable Red first but I don't tighten it.. 😂 then as soon as I try putting on negative battery cable Black I get a spark. O yea am losing a replacement for my positive cable since it broke

16

Most Helpful Girl

• it's normal, connect the positive first and then the negative, you'll still get sparks because something is always drawing current, could be anything, any lights like door light, hood light and what not, or if you have a radio clock, key in the ignition, etc..

• I turned everything off in my car but how can I put the negative terminal backon with out its sparking? Am afarid oll blow the hell up

• And she laughs I had my girlfriend crying so next time I'll stop working wo much n keep focus

• Yea gotta keep focus

Most Helpful Guy

• You should tighten positive before messing with negative otherwise the positive can come lose, bounce or touch something which defeats the whole point of doing it first. Small sparks are not a big deal.

• So how can I put on the battery if it keeps sparking?

• If you are seeing huge sparks or hearing loud pops something is wrong and you probably already blew some fuses too. Just wait for your mechanic friend.

• I fixed it thank you for yje advice.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 5

• No problem with that, but why did you file the question under break up and divorce? Surely a sparking battery won't cause either 😝

• Sorry I ask a lot of break up question hete but was worried I'll blow up because it sparks

• No mate, you won't blow up, just don't connect both terminals together, you will short out the battery also WARNING depending on the make and model of your car disconnecting and reconnecting the battery incorrectly may cause an electrical spike to fry your cars computer circuit.

• Yes turns out I had the wireson wrong, lol n I have s 2004 Hyundai

• That is what will happen normally. It's not a problem.

• Yea thank you I was just worried, it's my first car and I been doing g all of my repairs by myself which has been super fun.

• That's normal, there is always something drawing current even when everything is off

• You'll always get what they call a parasitic drain, it's usually not much but the computer or a clock and car alarms that are always active will cause that little spark

• Yep so thank you, am gonna fix the brakes later on

• Well before you start that just look on YouTube for your car so there is no surprises, if you're doing the front brakes you'll need a C clamp to squeeze the piston back down on the caliper , it's also a good idea to replace the rotor if you can. Back brakes on some cars require a tool to turn the piston clockwise like a screw to go down instead of squeezing it or you'll damage it if that's the typ you have

• normal... it is the electrical system making contact with the battery and power beginning to flow. In my experiences. Now I do not know what is wrong with your car, so there could be other issues.

• Honestly man turns out I was putting the wires on wrong... so next time I should take my time n stop freaking out

• yeah, best to be careful with wiring and stuff.

• Because your completing a circuit don't worry about it