My ex talks to me about his new girl and compares her to me?

My ex & I dated pretty much all of our 3rd years and broke up 6 months ago at the beginning of our 4th years about 6 months ago. While we're friendly I wouldn't call us the best of friends. He messaged me recently and said he wanted to hang out and catch up. We hung out once before a couple months ago so I didn't think much of it.
But when we met up, he started telling me how he misses 3rd year and, for some reason, it was better and more fun than this year. So we talked about our years for a while, but I could tell something was wrong so I asked if he were ok. And he told me about this girl he likes. She's someone I'm friendly with and we also went to the same high school. It wasn't a surprise because I know this boy and I sort of picked up on it months ago.
Anyway, she doesn't like him back, and she told him that she values their friendship and doesn't want to lose him as a friend. This triggered him and reminded him of me because I said the exact same thing when we broke up. And she'd reply to group messages but not his personal messages, which also reminded him of me because I also used to do that to him sometimes.
WHY would anyone hit up their ex girlfriend to talk about some new girl AND compare them? Am I wrong for thinking this is inappropriate?
3
0