How bad is it to be friends with your ex?

me and my ex boyfriend broke up a year ago after a two years relationship, and now we started talking again and i like this but im sure i would never go back with him... we also started hanging out again

95

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion a relationship with an ex has two outcomes, friends with benefits or start dating again

Most Helpful Girl

• If it was a mutual breakup and you have no leftover feelings maintaining a friendship will be a lot easier. If there is some leftover feelings, then there will be some resentment and he might just want to try to win you back.

I personally tried this with my past relationship, where I was the one to break up and it just ended up with him pushing my boundaries far more than I was comfortable with because he still liked me. It ended up going much further into creeper-mode than it ever did in the relationship, even though I had stated clearly I was not interested.

That situation may well have been person dependent though. If it's someone who can maintain healthy emotional distance as well, you might be fine.

What Guys Said 4

What Girls Said 8

• It's not bad at all. If you ended on good terms and you're both happy to be friends again then there's nothing wrong.

• I'm still "friends" with my ex. We talked yesterday for the first time since April. We just talk to catch up and what not. Nothing more than that. We don't fill each other in on our dating lives, our personal lives. None of that. But that's just us, doesn't mean it's everyone else.

• I honestly don't get why people mind it so much. Being friends with an ex but keeping boundaries clear (i. e. We're not getting back together) is perfectly fine.

• this is like completely my story.. me and my ex are like best friends.. and I don't feel like its bad or there's anything wrong in it.

• I mean if u dont wanna close thst door and wanna leave it opened for another shot one day. Then be fruends or if u 2 r better off as friends then just be friends

• So bad that if you were to find someone else and he comes back into your life it would be messed up

• It's not bad as there was something there before. So it's a shame to throw all that away

• I tired. but it failed. we didn't know how to act. we both didn't know to act as just friends or act romantically. he showed me loads of care which he showed no one and it made me feel special but then we fought for one thing he said he just wanted to be friends. I don't know what he really wanted because it seemed to me that he was acting romantically