Is depression/being lost in life a real reason to breakup with someone but have no answers, or is it an excuse?

My boyfriend of two years recently dumped me saying he's been depressed and wants to get help and that he's unsure about everything in his life so dumping me was the first change to get him to make changes in life. He had been drinking more on and off and hasn't liked his work environment or being far from family for a long time and he mentioned getting really down in the winter before we started dating. I always figured moving to his hometown or closer would help and was willing to make that happen in the next year. I can understand to an extent, but I can't move on because he can't give me any answers on if we are just on a break or forever done, if he's moving home for good or a short time, or when if at all. We still live together with the plan I take over our house when he goes home for a music festival soon. But he can't even tell me if he's taking all his stuff and gets angry when I ask any questions. Not many people know we broke up and he has his Facebook as in a relationship with me still. He still is drinking heavy and hanging with crappy people but says he can't change all at once and is being more responsible about not driving drunk and whatnot. Somedays he's super loving and normal and the next he is angry at the world and will stay somewhere else. He says he loves me and doesn't want to hurt me and be on good terms, but he can't worry about me if he's unsure and trying to fix himself. What do you think? Is this a legit reason, or am I wasting my time?
+1 y
The compassionate part of me wants to be there to help in any way I don't think depression is a joke but the other part of me is so tired. Tired of not getting any answers. Of the wishywashiness. I don't want to get used. So that's what I'm struggling with. The lines of loving him are starting to blur into uncertainty like he's a completely different man than I knew. If he does come back, a lot would have to change.
3
3