He says he still cares but wants to be alone?

He'd been away for 6 months with his work he's in the military. He came back a month and two weeks ago was telling me he loved me, was telling my brother his friends everyone like he always has.
This time when he came back he was giving me the cold shoulder, I confronted him about it after he kept doing this into the second week of being back and after I'd said to him does he not want to be with me anymore he replied not really right now. So we discussed it he said he felt like he's grown apart since he's been away even though what his actions was saying last time said different. He then said he feels like his life hasn't fallen back in place, including friends and family. He said he was depressed but didn't go into detail much. He said he still cares but wouldn't answer if he loved me or not but looking at him I could just tell that he did still... he said he's better alone because that way he doesn't miss anyone while away and that his work is only going to get busier. He said in the past year he's probably seen me a month and they've not always been the best times which openly admit we had a bad fallout this time last year but we really got past that we really did I'm not imagining it we even spoke about it the last time he was home saying we was glad we was able to sort things out together. I don't know do I give him time and hope he still wants me? I mean it's come to a shock to friends and family too not just me. None of us saw it coming.
1
3