When do you end a rocky relationship when there are kids involved?

Relationships are a lot of work and having children makes it even more so. When you and your partner "take a break" and separate, but then get together again, how likely is it that you'll be able to go the distance this time around? At first I'm assuming all will be well, but then old habits are likely to start creeping back if I'm thinking correctly.

I understand wanting to work things out for the sake of the kids, but then again I feel that it could ultimately cause much more damage than actually splitting. When is enough enough?

When do you know it's time to call it quits? Also, is it usually (I know situations will vary) the man or woman who ends it?

44

Most Helpful Guy

• If old habits are likely to start creeping back, then take a preventive measure so that you/him will try to be more self-conscious about it. Try to get the bottom of the problem and think of how to solve it together, there's no such things as a perfect relationship without developing trust/communication/understanding between/of each other. Things might be going okay at first, but soon problems will come up if you don't have a good base. It's like you don't expect a building to be stable if it doesn't have good support

Most Helpful Girl

• When you can't think of anything that you like about your spouse and all of your good memories are over shadowed by bad ones.
    Don't ever try to work things out just for the kids sake it needs to be for the sake of each other.
    Would you both try marriage counseling?

What Guys Said 3

• I tried for 5 years to fix a broken marriage with three 3 stuck in the middle of a bad environment.
    when it's no longer two people working for the same goals and the communication breaks down. it takes work on both parts to keep it going so when that stops you have to be honest with each and move on.

• depends on what kind of people you are. some will take that as an opportunity to meet someone else. the way i see it, if your only together for the kids, you will just get more and more miserable then it will feel impossible to be happy again with someone else

• When... You want to?

What Girls Said 3

• Regardless of what happens, what is best for the kids has to be the number one thing on both of your minds and it needs to be discussed because regardless of what you tell them, the children will blame themselves.

• My best friend had a difficult childhood because her parents separated when she was about 5 got back together and had another child to try to "fix" their relationship but then broke up again and since then nothing! Honestly it sorta messed up her life! So in my opinion you should call it quits now but lead up to it slowly for the kids sake because otherwise it would make them feel terrible if you broke up after they leave! Hope I helped!

• My parents had a rocky marriage and it harmed me more emotionally than their divorce did. It depends on the people involved and how much work they'll do and how damaged they are.