Would you remain friends with your ex after a breakup?

• Yes
  • No
  • We tried but it didn't work out.
    Vote C

1934

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm friends with my exs, except one. It really depends on how you broke up and why.
    I voted yes, but when I say "friends", I mean like we say hi to each other and have no hard feelings from the past. We can have a conversation if we see each other in some place, but it's not like we're best friends who talk everyday. So I guess there are a lot of people like me, but not much people who become really friends after a breakup.

What Guys Said 33

• Why? and how do you see that working?
    Men and women are not friends. they can be friendly however. But once you break up, who would ever want to be friends with someone they were intimate with? you really want to be around them when they are with someone else who is fucking them? how awkward would that be? I wanted to date her, I wanted to have sex with her, I don't want to just be friends with her. So no, I don't want anything to do with her once we break up. It if different with divorce when there are kids involved.

• I completely agree that men and women can't be "friends" but friendly. In fact men and women really can't be "friends" period. Yet so many women seek out beta males to friend zone confidently thinking that men are okay with it.

I guess my hang up was when one of my exes completely shut me out when I wanted to keep things empathetic and respectful. Nothing fundamentally went wrong during the relationship (cheating, abuse, etc). But I was treated like I was guilty of that to pacify her own conscious for her decision.

Oh well fuck her.

• Yes. Better as friends then lovers. We tried. We still friends after 10 years

• No 😊

• very much friends with my ex but we're not good in a relationship is toxic

• it depends on how you break up with them, if it was mutual then yeah sure but if it was because they cheated on me then no

• I wish

• Depends on the break up

• No, while the list of people I've dated is small, I haven't spoken to any of them after I dumped them nor do I plan on contacting them in the future

• My ex-wife and I are still good friends, we were just unhealthy in a relationship together.

• I've never tried to do this, but have no desire to either.

• Nope, none of my breakups were that pretty. We either hated each other and/or she died. Last breakup was 12 years ago, dunno if she's still alive or not.

• Hell no. Exes are exes for a reason!

• Well, honestly it depends. If it just wasn't going to workout between us both then yeah. If I really cared and loved her perhaps not.

• Nope.

An ex is out of my life forever.

• Sometimes if it end amicably.

• Tried, but it rarely works well.

• no, it prevents me from moving on.

• I am good friends with my ex.

• No...

• nope

• Depends on why we broke up

• Sure! But, sometimes it depends on the reason why you broke up.

• sure why not

• Unless we're having sex... there's really no reason to remain friends with an ex.

• depends on the break up

• Nope.

• From my tough experience the feelings won't fade away till she does, but only if you really loved her/him

• Depends on how you break up.

• hell no

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 18

• Every moment is a gift, hence it's called the present ~ Warm Apple Crumble

• It really depends on the reason for the brake up, because things just weren't working or because one did wrong by the other.

• Tried but didn't work. We couldnt stop hooking up and gettin jealous

• I was friends with my last ex until I got into a serious relationship after that it didn't seem right.
    I'd tell him about my one date wonders and we'd have a good laugh about it.
    I knew him from primary school.

• If I was the one who broke up with the other person, yes, I would like to remain friends. But if I was the who got dumped, then no.

• i would try my best to end it on a good note, but i dont think that i would contact them unless they really needed help about something or they were in a friend/in-law circle of people, which then i would just be polite and try my best to stay away

• Nope. Ex = exit

• Of course! I've never been broken up with, so if I know the guy was really hurt I always make it an effort to remain friends. My best friend was actually my most serious and longest relationship I ever had! He still has some feelings for me, but we remain best friends to this day. All of my exes are friends OR close friends. I'd feel bad if things ended in a bad way!

• That depends of course. I'm yet to have a relationship where the guy is a best friend to me. I still am friends with one of my boyfriends, but I dated him at 13 so i don't think it truly counted as a relationship😂

• I might remain friendly if I need to, especially if we have mutual friends but remaining friends is not needed.

• It all depends on how the break up went😊

• Depends on the situation.

• I do not think I can.

• Nope, it never lasts

• some yes but with most it didn't work out

• No I hate him

• I tried to stay friends with one guy after we broke up mostly because he wanted it even though he broke up with me. But he just wanted sex so stopped talking to him.
    There was one guy that I actually did stay friends with because we were good friends before dating and we had a good bond. He lived in England and I lived in the U. S. We mostly broke up because of the distance and time zones and it eventually broke up our friendship. He also got a little possessive and jealous whenever I started dating a new guy.

• I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not good friends with any of them even though there isn't any bad blood between me and any of my exes. Just the other day I ran into one of them when I was with a friend. I say "ran into" but I didn't really talk to him at all. It's not like I was giving him the silent treatment or anything, I would have answered if he said something to me. But neither of us really had anything to say to each other.

• Is there... a particular reason you wanted to know this?

• I don't understand... why did you want to know if I'm still friends with my exes?