How can I navigate being just friends with a former lover?

This guy I was having sex with and I got in a fight (more I was an emotional wreck) because he didn't want to be in a relationship a I did. Since then, he has said he wants to remain friends. I saw him yesterday and told him all I wanted to regarding my feelings (I cared for him, and I see how things went wrong) and he hugged me afterwards saying he "wasn't a heartless monster, he'd at least give me a hug" which wasn't sexual but lasted longer than average.

So I also asked if he wanted to do something next week with me, and he said it probably wasn't a good idea, even though I'm going to be gone for almost all of July. I asked if we could do something when I came back in August, and he said sure, but I should probably bring my friends too. I was sort of offended and told him I can stand to not be intimate with him at all, as I value him as a person and his friendship, but he said groups were best.

I still care for him and want for him to be my friend, but I'm unsure on what sort of rules apply to navigating a friendship.
3
1