My sister just broke up and she is devastated, I don't know how to help her?

She doesn't have friends anymore since they were not a friend to her. She only had that guy which she would always be with him. They would either stay at his place or at ours (rarely). I've been with her since she broke up (yesterday night) and she hasn't eaten anything, she just watches YouTube videos and sometimes looks at her pictures with the guy. I told her that's no good (looking at pics) and she kind of stopped. I'm trying to be here for her but I'm not sure what exactly that means. Being in the same room as her just doesn't seem enough and I don't know how else I could help. We did talk a bit, she told me how they broke up but I don't know what I should say. I'm usually good at giving advice to my friends but it's not the same with my sister, I feel that we're either not close enough or too close. She told me that she still loves him and he loves her too but he was right to break up with her. And she doesn't know how she is going to spend her summer. She literally has no one right now and I feel that she needs a friend not her sister.

13

Most Helpful Guy

• one thing my siblings taught me was that during troubled times the support of a family member has much more deeper meaning because they know you... they will stick with you through thick and thin, siblings doesn't really need advice but what they do need is a family member who can give them closure and the love that they need, if it was me (personally) I'd take my brothers out and do something that reminds them that there is always someone of the same blood to have your back... I guess what I'm trying to say is support your sister, remind her that she will always have someone

Most Helpful Girl

• How old are you two? whats the age difference between you?

• I'm soon to be 19 and she is 21

• Ok so pretty close in age. You need to get her out of the house doing something active. the more you can fill her body and mind with activities, the less time and space in her brain for thinking about him. Sitting still and allowing her to talk about or look at his pictures is the worst thing. If you can think of an activity that also empowers her, that's even better. Something that makes her feel pretty, strong, invincible, smart etc.. Also, stay away from alcohol. Its a depressant and won't help at all.

What Guys Said 2

• depends on the person there is a spectrum between comfort and distraction and somewhere in that spectrum is exactly what she needs.

• you only talk and be there for her

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!