After a break-up, have you ever hung around your ex's friends and/or family?

Have you ever had a break-up where your ex's family or friends really liked you and continued to want to hang out with you even after the break-up? Like they still invited you over for birthdays, dinners, or Christmas? If so, was it super awkward with your ex being there or had both of you moved on in relationships, and you became more like a friend?

183

Most Helpful Guy

• nope... totally cut them all out of my life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I tried being friends with my ex's mom as I was close to her and then he left me and she still kept talking to me and wanting to do things with me. It honestly started to hurt as she would constantly post things about my ex on FB and whatsapp when I was trying to move. It made things harder so I decided to end things and deleted her. It was the best decision for me. You gotta the cut the cords. Your ex is no longer part of your life so there is no point in being friends with their family. It just makes things messy.

• I was in a bit of a weird situation. My ex's mom as a roommate of my aunt's which I didn't find out until long after we started dated, so she thought of me as family. After we broke up, she still treated me as such. She even creepily (IMO) had a picture of us together still up on the mantle. He and I both thought that was weird, but it was her house. We both moved on, and we had the same friends, so we were just sort of in each others lives and I'd see his mom from time to time. It was more awkward with her than it was with him. Your situation sounds a bit hard on the heart, and it sounds like you made the definite right decision to let her go.

What Guys Said 2

What Girls Said 17

• Yes I have. To be honest though I stuck around at first because I still liked the guy and hoped his family and friends would help get us back together and me being friends with them would give me excuses to see him. So immature I know. However, out of that came a genuine friendship with one of my Ex's sisters. She and I have been best friends for year and she likes me more than she likes her brother. I hadn't seen her brother since we had a huge falling out over a year ago... then she got married and he and I were both in the wedding party. It was awkward because we were both with other people and his girlfriend at the time didn't like me talking to him at the wedding.

• no. but my ex kept clinging onto my aunt and cousin for like 7-9 months after we broke up. my aunt even facetimed with him while he was on a holiday.

i haven't seen my aunt since August last year, because i think she is a backstabbing piece of shit.

if she confronted me, i would even tell it to her face. and i usually dont tell people such things.

• God no. That's not healthy really. I'm friends with one ex but we've been friends longer than we dated now.

• No and I probably wouldn't it. It would just be too awkward, especially when a new boyfriend/girlfriend enters the picture. Since i no longer have the title, i no longer need to be there.

• Friends yes, I met them through him but we got so close from all hanging so many times. So we kept in contact and met up a few times or saw each other at parties and such. Kept a distant friendship I'd say

• Well I find it kind of uncomfortable but then again I've never been in that situation I can only imagine. BUT I will tell you this. When my uncle and his girlfriend broke up and he moved out of the country, She continued to hang out with my family. They are actually pretty close and she comes over for family occasions all the time including Christmas and my uncle was actually there. Im sure they felt a little awkward at first but by then it had already been a year since they were broken up. The situation turned out pretty good they are actually friends now

• Nope. In fact he never introduced me to them.

• I sometimes talk to his mum on Facebook but we never hung out. He considers me an enemy now and I dont want to get his mum in trouble.

• No that would be pathetic

• I'm friends with all my ex's friends, so yeah.

• Nope

• yes, bc we were together so long and we're so close it felt like we were just friends but his mom seemed to want us back together

• I think that's very unhealthy. You can be friendly with the family but both sides need to raise that if the relationship ends, then things need to change unfortunately.
    It doesn't mean you can't be civil and friendly to each other still but certainly, those relationships must change too. Attending family events as normal is just going to be so unhealthy and will make it so much harder for you to develop and move on which is VITAL!

• Nope never

• No he told his family how horrible I was to him. It was him that was verbally abusing me. He wouldn't leave my house till I threw him out.

• Not me personally, but it's not that unusual. Sometimes people became close with their ex's family during the relationship, and they see you as family. My friend's ex's family would still invite her to join them on vacations and stuff after the relationship ended. Her ex had his own place separate from his family, and they would hardly run into each other so there wasn't much awkwardness.

• I was with one of my cousin's best friends so even after we ended I constantly saw him because I was friends with his friends. It was hard at first and honestly even now (6 years later) it still isn't fully comfortable, but in fairness he cheated on me with several girls so that's not something that is easily forgivable.