Breaking up in advance before moving away from each other?

Hi!
First of all, I know that these things are super personal and subjective, so I'm not asking this to hear what to do per se, but more of just to hear people's opinions on such a situation :)

We've been together with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now, but will both be moving to different countries for university soon (he in 6 weeks, me in 8). Our relationship has been very bumpy but all in all we enjoy each others company, mean a lot to each other and things are good. Not amazing, head over heals tho, which is why we've decided not to stay in a long distance relationship.

Now would it be easier, smarter etc, to break up now, or wait until the very last moment? Our times together are enjoyable yes, but also overshadowed by the looming end, and for example all talk of university feels sad and rude almost. If we were to break up now, we also wouldn't maybe be so heart broken when going to uni, there would be time to heal. Also the thought of kinda being "forced" into breaking up because of time ending feels worse than kinda deciding it for ourselves now. But then again, we could enjoy the summer together and just try to not feel too sad...

What Guys Said 2

• I think it's a good idea you break up now, like you said, to have time to heal and get ready for the next step in your life, which is a pretty big one by the way, besides, breaking up doesn't mean you have to stop being friends, you could still be there for one another if someone needs it

• well i personally think that you should stay with him, maybe not till the very last moment but at least one week before leaving. Both of you know what going through university is like, new experiences and friends. It would be awful not enjoying all this things properly just because you're still attached to him. Set your mind on what's coming on, if you both decided not to have a long distance relationship it just shows that probably the two of you have to start realizing the idea of not seeing each other... probably you'd better break up one month before starting, enough time to recover a little for a new start.
    (sorry the bad english)

• @asker wow your shoulders and legs skin is so bare pale hairless. What's your secret?

What Girls Said 0