How can I really let go of my ex and accept that it's over forever?

It's been 3 months since I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years. I cried a handful of times since we broke up.. not very many at all. Tonight is one of them, and I feel ashamed to admit that I'm crying over him after all these months... but I still love him.

I realize the reason I haven't felt sad is I've been in denial. I know it's over, but I keep FEELING like he's coming back. But he's not. That bridge is burned. I even tried a few weeks ago and he was polite and kind (like always) but made it very clear... he's done.

Still, in my head, he's gonna text one day to say he misses me. Or I'm going to change for the better, be less crazy, more accomplished, and we'll run into each other and get back together. My brain half believes it, half doesn't, but my hearts falling for that idea hook line and sinker.

I want to let go. I want to love again. How can I force myself to accept that I will probably never see him again and just grieve that loss and let go? Because I can't seem to do that and I need someone to help me figure out how :(?

27

Most Helpful Guy

• aww baby u are very sweet. I wish in this world everyone get girlfriend like u. but in this fkin world. love emotions feeling caring those words are enemy of human being.

Most Helpful Girl

• You literally sound like me and believe me, it's completely normal to feel this way. It's a process and I know everyone says this but it's really true, time will heal the pain.
    But you should try to focus on loving yourself. Take all the energy you had put into living him and use it now in yourself.
    I know it's hard but focus on realising what him leaving you represented... He didn't respect you, he didn't believe in you, he didn't care enough to want to make it work and now he's left you alone and he's off doing his thing.
    It might not be the right time for you today to feel this way but it will come, it will get better I promise you. Be kind to yourself for now ❤️

What Guys Said 6

• You can't force yourself to accept it, not like flipping a switch. You'll gradually accept it more and more as time goes on.

• as the old saying goes "time will heal everything " I understand how you feel, I still think if my ex from time to time , but not so much anymore

• he broke up with you, not you with him

• I technically broke up with him, because we had a bad fight. But I went too far, and I pushed him away for good.

• Why did you guys break up?

• IT Will pass. the time Will heal the heart.

• If he mad it clear you won't get back together I think you should accept it. Its hard I know but you have to be strong and slowly start letting him go.

What Girls Said 1

• The question now is will you truly be happy with him if you are getting back together?
    It does hurt (I just moved on from a guy) and i still cried after 2 months, but then you just have to accept it by removing anything that reminds him to you.
    People may say that time heals everything (it does), but people heal it sooner. Surround yourself with people that care about you and try to open up, maybe there is someome that can distract you from your ex boyfriend if you open up to any possibility.

• Good luck girl, and i do hope you'll find a better man.