How can I really let go of my ex and accept that it's over forever?

It's been 3 months since I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years. I cried a handful of times since we broke up.. not very many at all. Tonight is one of them, and I feel ashamed to admit that I'm crying over him after all these months... but I still love him.

I realize the reason I haven't felt sad is I've been in denial. I know it's over, but I keep FEELING like he's coming back. But he's not. That bridge is burned. I even tried a few weeks ago and he was polite and kind (like always) but made it very clear... he's done.

Still, in my head, he's gonna text one day to say he misses me. Or I'm going to change for the better, be less crazy, more accomplished, and we'll run into each other and get back together. My brain half believes it, half doesn't, but my hearts falling for that idea hook line and sinker.

I want to let go. I want to love again. How can I force myself to accept that I will probably never see him again and just grieve that loss and let go? Because I can't seem to do that and I need someone to help me figure out how :(?
7
2