Was a potential boyfriend, now he's gone forever?

I met a guy whom I really liked. It was attraction at first sight as both of us were attracted to each other the moment we laid eyes on each other. We had a lot of eye contact and he would. ALWAYS stare at me as if he couldn't take his eyes off me and he literally made me feel incredibly special.

Never in my life had someone looked at me in the way he used to look at me. His face always had a pure look as if he had seen something extraordinary even though I am not even that attractive.

The only problem was that he was someone who was very into studies and was extremely focussed on human rights and welfare and was also the student representative hence he was also busy with people or into human rights discussions and meetings.
He seemed quite inexperienced as he resorted to really silly moves to get my attention on him like being loud or hovering around me quite a lot or simply staring at me to the point where it seemed as if he was eye fucking me.

I finally spoke to him and we talked a little bit and exchanged names and he grabbed me by my shoulder. His pick up line was have we met before?

But after that he started giving me mixed signals. I mean he ignored me in front of his friends but I can understand that because I would also feel uncomfortable in front of his friends or even my friends.

I did see him glance over me but we couldn't talk and after that I could not meet him alone because he left for his home country and I left for mine for summer vacations. Though I ve heard he may not come back as he's finished with school.

I miss him incredibly. I took the first move after he made a lot of desperate attempts to get my attention for starting a conversation but I did not understand what went wrong that he started acting cold.
I don't think we will ever see each other again and that hurts.
Its really painful for me to let go because I finally felt I found someone who would truly appreciate me. What to do? How do I cope with this misery?
1
2