How do you deal with having feelings for someone else when you're in a rocky relationship?

When you're in a committed long term relationship, but are having issues do you feel guilty for having feelings for someone else?

Would you start seeking the other person out more or would you start avoiding them?
It's not me who is in the relationship. It's my guy friend. I'm trying to understand his recent behavior towards me. He is in a relationship now that I suspect is in trouble and has been for a while. Sometimes he's really sweet to me and shows signs of interest. Sometimes it feels as though he's trying to get closer to me, but other times it's like he's pushing me away. I do like him... a LOT! I'm not the type who's going to interfere so I'm trying to keep a safe distance while also try

113

Most Helpful Guy

• Give it time... the dust might settle in the rocky relationship and the feelings for the other person might just be premature... Just give it time.
    if the rocky rel doesn't work out... then you can move on. but do not be in a haste or you may end up with a mistake.

• Thanks for your insight. It's actually not me who is in the relationship. It's my guy friend. I'm trying to understand his recent behavior towards me. He is in a relationship now that I suspect is in trouble and has been for a while. Sometimes he's really sweet to me and shows signs of interest. Sometimes it feels as though he's trying to get closer to me, but other times it's like he's pushing me away. I do like him... a LOT! I'm not the type who's going to interfere so I'm trying to keep a safe distance while also trying to just stay friends with him and offer help ONLY IF he asks. This situation just has me puzzled.

Most Helpful Girl

• Been there and felt guilty. That's emotional cheating. If things aren't getting better it's better to leave the relationship, even though it seems hard now. In the long run, you will be happier.

• It's really hard to walk away from someone you enjoy spending time with, but if you still want to make your relationship work, it's better to avoid them. You're steeping on risky ground, as you can't control your feelings.

• You're being really respectful about his relationship. He's in a hard situation and so are you.
      I think it's very likely that he has feelings for you. That's why sometimes he tries to distance himself.
      If you want to help him I'd try to understand what is his situation exactly. Does he still loves his wife? Are they happy? Does he see a future with her? Or is he just avoiding ending the relationship because that's easier?
      I don't know how bad their relationship is or what are the problems they're having.
      But his answers to these questions are the answer for everything.
      And, as a friend that you are -before being someone who has feelings for him - try to talk with him about this and find out if it's better for you to move on or tell him that he needs to leave the relationship to be happier.