Boyfriend slapped me in the head... I don't know what to do?

He hit me in the head because I argued with him because he called me stupid. He threatened to hit me and then I told him he didn't need to act immature and then he hit me really hard in the side of the head. I have a knot now and it hurts to chew food. He said if I was more intelligent that it wouldn't have happened and that if I wanted him to leave that he could easily find smarter women. Later on I told him my head was aching and he said "I'm sorry your head is aching but I'm not as sorry as you want me to be." We have a family together and I just don't want to tear it apart... I would lose all my friends if I broke up with him as well. Is this normal? He said his father hit his mother and they seem like a happy couple now. I have never had a father and I just don't know if this is normal guy behavior. He has been my only boyfriend and I have no confidence and don't feel as if I have any value to any one else. I just don't want to be alone but I do want a nice guy
19
13