First he said he wants to fix things. Now he says not at the moment. Am I being lead on?

Boyfriend dumped me two and a half weeks ago. Five days later, texts me to say he still loves me, always will and hopes to be able to sort things out. I said I'm still hurting but appreciate the gesture.

Couple days ago after hearing no follow up, I texted him, asking if he wanted to talk at some point. He said "at the moment no, cannot compromise work stuff"
From what I gather, a senior position opened up at his work and it is apparently really hard to get into.
In response I said "Okay best of luck."

Is he giving me an excuse to not talk to me or could it be truth? Does "at the moment, no" really mean he doesn't want to talk at the moment but might want to at a later date or is he leading me on? Was my response okay? Opinions pls, and thank you.
1
2