After breaking up, how long did it take you to feel like it was over for good?

After breaking up, how long did it take you to feel like it was over for good? I'm not talking about that initial denial phase. In general, did you feel like it was over right when you dumped/were dumped or did it take you some time?

32

Most Helpful Guy

• if u dump the other then u feel it was over for good. if u got dumped it will take some amount of time to come out of tht sadness so it will take few months depending on how strong n serous u were in tht relationship

Most Helpful Girl

• If I'm the one breaking up with him, generally I know it's over for good when I break up with him. If he's breaking up with me, 5 month relationship, took me 4 weeks? 1st week was, OMG I miss him so much my heart is breaking and crying over every little thing. 2nd week was pretending to be okay when I'm breaking apart inside, every so often part of it would break through to the outside and I'd cry again. 3rd week, I'm mostly okay, life has been moving on, I've survived 2 weeks without him, I can do this, but if he were to apologize say he would fix everything, I'd take him back. 4th week, I'm okay, honestly I am, would I take him back now, no. I did a lot of analyzing, talking through my emotions with friends, thinking through the relationship and my emotions and I do think that helped. The moment when I was finally over the relationship, knew we were never ever getting back together, it was when I realized it wasn't me, it was him, and I deserve better.

What Guys Said 1

• It doesn't feel like it's over right away. I thought in my head for a while it was just a dream or it couldn't be true. You still wanna be around and talk to that person, but those feelings go away slowly and it gets easier

• how long did it take you? it has been over 3 months and countless rejections and i still feel like one day things will be alright again

• thanks for replying. me and my ex didn't end badly either. i didn't want to break up, but it wasn't a huge fight or anything like that. we attempted to be friends but that wasn't working because all feelings were being mixed up. we talked a few times after that decision and yesterday i saw him, because i went to give his belongings back. i realized that he is having problems on his own and i felt that he still had feelings for me. since we broke up, i always felt like he still liked me and there was something he wasn't telling me. he admited there is something he can't tell me but didn't tell me yet. i guess i can't do anything now, he knows where to find me if he wants. thank you so much, your words really made me feel a tiny bit better. i hope you feel better soon, im sending you support

• Gotcha, if it's only been 3 months I would definitely say give it more time. No expert at all but just my opinion. If ya got anymore questions and just wanna talk you can add and message meπŸ‘

What Girls Said 2

• It has taken me about six months to get over a few six month long relationships. I'm currently in a relationship that has lasted much longer than my earlier relationships, and would assume it would take me a lot more time too.

• thanks for your opinion. I wasn't referring to the feeling of "getting over it" or forgetting the person you were with. I'm talking about this sort of feeling or intuition or whatever that you might feel like it is not really over. maybe it will take time, but a feeling that says that you will still get together

• Oh sorry, I misunderstood the question. πŸ™ƒ

• its okay!

• Hmm for me it was about 3/4 months