How long after you break up with an ex can you date/be friends?

We broke up a year ago. He dropped out of school and pushed away most of his school friends. I know where he works. He's had drug problems and struggled with anxiety and depression in the past. I want to go by his work and say one of the following:

• Hey, I'm sorry about everything that happened and I just want to let you know I miss being around you and if you ever want to hang out, let me know.
  • Hey, I'm glad you're okay, I know we aren't close anymore but if you ever need to talk to someone or be with someone I'm here.
  • Hey, sorry about everything. I'm glad you're doing good, let me know if you need anything.
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D

26

Most Helpful Guy

• I know you care about him as a friend too, but just talking with exes isn't recommended. If you do want to talk to him though, do not apologize and make sure to make it obvious you're just talking to him as a friend.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't be friends with your ex. It's a horrible idea.

What Guys Said 5

• What's the point - it's over.
    He's not your problem, he's not your responsibility, and you cannot fix him.

• This has bad idea written all over it.

Do you really think an ex-girlfriend is going to help a guy who struggles with depression? Leave him be.

• I don't talk to my exes

• you probably shouldn't get back together tho. another break up could cause a relapse

• Other:
    How about not doing that.

What Girls Said 1

• i will never be friends