Are depressed guys likely to commit suicide after a breakup if they say they might?

I had to break up with him because I cannot carry his burdens along with mine. I'm not strong enough. I truly do care for him, but his depression was too heavy for me. He needs someone else who can carry it. But the thing is, he acts like he wants to be happy but he doesn't. He actually is just so used to being depressed that he's accepted it and won't try.

It's made him selfish and I have been completely selfless. But it burns me out having to hold his depression. His ex felt the same way so she broke up with him. She probably felt the same way as I do. It's just he drives away people because of his attitude of helplessness. He's religious. He should just turn to God, yet he hasn't really. Was I wrong to leave him in his state? Will he kill himself?
5
4