Are depressed guys likely to commit suicide after a breakup if they say they might?

I had to break up with him because I cannot carry his burdens along with mine. I'm not strong enough. I truly do care for him, but his depression was too heavy for me. He needs someone else who can carry it. But the thing is, he acts like he wants to be happy but he doesn't. He actually is just so used to being depressed that he's accepted it and won't try.

It's made him selfish and I have been completely selfless. But it burns me out having to hold his depression. His ex felt the same way so she broke up with him. She probably felt the same way as I do. It's just he drives away people because of his attitude of helplessness. He's religious. He should just turn to God, yet he hasn't really. Was I wrong to leave him in his state? Will he kill himself?

45

Most Helpful Guy

• Either way, you can't let someone like that hold you emotionally hostage. You have no control over his actions and once you broke up with him, you shouldn't worry yourself with someone so unstable. I get having empathy, but its just going to drag you on that downward spiral with him.

Move on.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are people who will do that. I know someone who tried it but survived. But there were more reasons behind it then just his ex leaving. He didn't tell her if she leaves then he will do that though, and he didn't do it for attention from her because she never found out.

If someone says if you leave me I will kill myself they are most likely just trying to manipulate you into staying, however if they do say that you should call mental health people on him to make sure. Or call there friends or family to make sure they keep an eye on them.

It sounds like he wouldn't though because he didn't do that when his ex left him. You shouldn't stay with someone because you are scared they will do that just make others aware you are worried.

What Guys Said 4

• No one should stay in a relationship with someone who uses threats, especially threats of suicide.
    And whatever he does, that is no longer your problem. Nor your fault.

• It's not your burden. If you feel there is a strong chance he may hurt himself tell your parents and maybe his parents or school counselor or something

• I dont think so but there can be possibility in some cases. Those who are in serious relation and had made a great plan for the future can do so. Its depends on how seroiusly he takes relation. Also I wanna tell those who beleive in God that commiting suicide is against the will of God means it's a sin. Concept leaving the body before your actual day of death written by God.

• Everything that everyone said about emotional manipulation and holding you hostage is correct. You can't stay with him because of that. You are not his slave. He needs to get help if he feels that way and you are not the person who can do it

What Girls Said 3

• No. That is emotional manipulation. If he tells you say he's going to kill himself you call the POLICE.

He is not your burden to bear and you shouldn't have to. It is okay to walk away.

• this one time on the news i heard a girl left her man and he followed her threw acid and ran her face was so messed up her kids didn't want to look at her he said if he can't have her no one can

• yeah they may