He's not happy, but has a house and kids. When will he decide to move on?

My friend is going through some tough times right now in his relationship. They've been together for 10+ years, have children, and a house together. He's not happy, but he's not leaving. I can completely understand why leaving would be so difficult for him. He'd be losing his long term relationship, possibly his house, financial stability, the kids, etc... I completely get why he's not leaving. I worry about him though. His kids are young so if he's planning on staying together "just for the kids" he has a lot of years of unhappiness ahead of him. Kids are smarter than most people think, they'll see it and pick up on it too. I see this as a no win for all. Now here's the selfish side of me coming out. I have feelings for him. Very strong feelings. I'm 98% sure he feels something for me as well. Out of respect for him and his situation I'm trying to keep my distance while still being there if he needs support. It's a tough balance, but at the end of the day I want to see him happy even if it's not with me. My question is this. If I'm right and he does have feelings for me (or even another girl for that matter), when will enough be enough for him to decide moving on into a new relationship is best for all? If he's not happy, which I know he isn't, when will he reach the point of realizing he needs to make a change... hell, even if it means just being single for a while. If any of you GUYS are or were in this situation, how long did it take for you to decide it was time to make a move?
1
3