Would a guy break up with a girl if he felt he didn't deserve her?

Say the girl had a lot going on for her and when they initially got together he thought things would be going well him too. Things rapidly declined for this guy and he became an alcoholic and depressed.
Would this alter how he feels about the girl to the extent he would actually break up?

36

Most Helpful Guy

• I think a good amount of breakups happen for this reason, I've had to reassure some friends in the past because they didn't feel they deserved their partners.
    The insecurity chips away at them and all you can really do with then I'd reassure them that you're not in a relationship for any reason other than that you love them, and that that's enough for you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and no. I've had a guy tell me this before, and it seems like a "It's not you it's me" type of line that isn't telling the whole story. But depression and addiction can definitely make someone lose interest in a relationship, and feeling bad about himself could have been his final push to end it. Just whatever you do, don't become wrapped up in trying to save him or salvage the relationship. You can be kind, but move on and don't let him make you feel guilty.

What Guys Said 5

• Yes some people break up cuz they feel they're toxic to their partner or not good enough and that she can do better.

• Yes, I would. I don't want to take down a girl that is doing so well, just because I'm not doing good.

• would a guy do something stupid? yes, if he's stupid.

• He may not want to bring another person down

• In some cases, if he really cares about his partners well being, then yes. He feels like he would drag the other person from progressing in life

What Girls Said 2

• It's possible.

• I would feel really sad if that was the case that he broke up with me.