When should a marriage end?

Most Helpful Guy

• According to the economists statistics: 77 of all families experienced a drop in their wealth before the divorce.

According to the psychologists statistics: couples who argue about money at least once a week are 30% more likely going to get a divorce.

Also, according to the economists statistics: divorce rate increases when an economy recovers after economic down turn.

Conclusion: when you are experiencing prolong financial problems (long term debt, unpaid debt mounting up... etc) AND have enough money to afford a divorce: get a divorce.

Most Helpful Girl

• In my case my ex husband physical and mentally abused me. I am much happier now.

• Who in the hell would down vote me... a wife abuser?

• @Hispanic-Cool-Guy
      Let's see what else God has to say about marriage...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

What Guys Said 49

• When there is no more yelling, when there is nothing more you can try. When you realize that this wonderful human being that you loved/love and you just are not compatible, the hardest lesson I have had to learn in this life is that love is not enough. I am... sorry I was married to a wonderful woman for 25 years she gave me two amazing children and half of her life, I will always be grateful and feel honored, by these gifts. That being said we simply don't get along. If you do end a marriage especially one as long as mine was be aware that it will take you a very long time to figure out who you are and what you want. I went through all of that and more to get to a good place and am loving life once again

• There comes a point in time when all options have been tried, and yet the issues still remain. No one gets married with the idea of getting divorced. But there are times when we pick the wrong person, or circumstances beyond our control cause things to change. If it's impacting your life and health, you're worried for your safety, or your partner's, it's best to part ways, though it may be difficult. It's almost never easy or clean, but can sometimes be the best option.

• When you are sick of the other party's laziness , blaming , complaining , unappreciative attitude to name just some , I got rid of my ex for these reasons , she was just a burden , apart from financially , as she works too , but did zero around the house , maybe cooked occasionally when she could be bothered !! I am happier as a single father ( majority custody ) , despite the sacrifices , such as social life & also , if I wanted to go dating , it would be near impossible for a man in my situation

• Why the downvotes... seriously? Why waste your life on a spouse that brought nothing but negativity & stress ? No woman would put up with a man like that , she would have divorced him way before I did !!!

• When all avenues have been exhausted.

• If the respect isn't there.

• Good answer

• Yea, i slowly Learnt growing up to Leave a girl if she doesn't respect me, appreciate me or put effort in, in both a friendship and relationship way.
      i have high standards. 😅

• A marriage should end when both partners die.

• In my opinion a marriage should never end, because you should always be happy and make happy the person who you have married to. If you are thinking about ending your marriage is an evidence of you have never loved your partner.

• You forgot to mention the unicornes and fairies dancing around the rainbow.

• If married for the correct reasons, it should not end. If you are in love you should be able to make it work. If you are not however it is tough to be happy. You can only pretend so long. Should you both be denied a chance for happiest because you both made a poor decision earlier?

• @fuschia22 If both of the marriage consider that they should marry any other person, there's no problem, the problem is if only one of them think it and they are not faithful to their commitment.

• When you give in to weakness.

• At the death of a partner... unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way. :(

• Death.

• when you get the answer to this let me know...

• When your no longer happily married.

• Divorce or your partner died I guess

• before you do

• When you can't deal with it

• when , your no longer in love.

• It should never begin

• Ideally it should never stop, realistically it should stop when the marriage is no longer working, when its beyond repair.

• when u file for divorce

• By design: when you die..., i. e., til death do us part.
    However, when the marriage can no longer function and the spirit of the union is no longer shared and is unsalvageable, then it can end.

• Certainly when there is physical abuse, actually when there is repetitive toxic mental abuse

• when both of them stop trying to fix it and lose hope in the relationship

• Before you hate each other.

• Unfaithfulness or abuse.

• "till death do us part" is a lie

• The downvotes, it's true though. It's a lie. Couples divorce when they have a problem rather than fixing them.

• Then you no longer want to be with them. When it's over.

• Really? lol

• Yeah, you are older than me, okay. Still, I just can't see how this kind of experience is good for me.

• It is like if I say to you that I have more days navigating (since I am a Brazilian Navy Military) than you've been on the bathroom. It just doesn't make sense.

• when doubts, ignorance, uncaring starts. This happened to me thats I can judge more than any body on this app

• Death or divorce.

• Divorce should only be applicable to marriages where cruelty is present, otherwise the couple should have to find a way to work it out.

Society should not tolerate the termination of marriages, the splitting of families and so on.

• 1. Infidelity. 2. Abuse 3. Addictions

• More from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 24

• never...

dont get married if you think divorce is an option...

marriage should end when your beloved mate dies... only then...

• With children: When your own children are just sick of you two being together. Trust me, as a child of divorce, sometimes it would make the child feel better if there wasn't so much fighting. I wasn't a fan of the whole 'stay together for the children' thing. When my mom told me she and my father were splitting, I rejoiced. When the papers were signed (coincidentally on my birthday), I was ready to throw TWO parties. Can't say that my two brothers felt the same way, but they didn't really see the relationship the same way I did. Child hurt when they see their parents hurt. I knew my parents were meant to be better apart.

Without children: When it just feels hopeless or you feel indifferent. If everything that comes out of your mouth seems like it goes in one ear and out the other or like your words just never seem to come out right. Yes, you need to try to fix what's been cracked or broken but if it starts to seem like nothing you say will ever help, you need to realize, sometimes, broken things can't be pieced together again.

• Children doesn't have nothing to do with that. Is with the person itself

• Children kind of do have something to do with a marriage or divorce. Because it's a FAMILY. Which means, things like parents all of a sudden not living together or parents yelling at each other and crying every night, that affects the children. So, while children aren't the main concern when making a decision about ending a marriage, most parents think about how a divorce would affect the family as a whole, as well as how it would affect themselves. Because they love their children... 😞

• Its the relationship with the person. Divorce will affect the family automatically. But its not what children feel about it. Its what the person itself cause that situation to affect that divorce situation understand. There's a difference. Only a person with experience would know that of marriage. They should know it better.

• When you no longer care, or want to try. When you look for extra things outside the house to do so you don't have to go home and see them. When you think about them with someone else and the thought doesn't bother you

• That right there is when a person is garbage. That person deserve a divorce and leave that person and another 1 after that.

• I have two different answers depending on whether a person has children or not.

If a person does not have children, I do not care when their marriage should end.

If a person has children then I think they should do whatever is in their power to try to keep the marriage and family together until their youngest kid is 18, assuming their is no addiction or abuse. Also assuming that two rational people have come to the conclusion that they no longer want to be married to their spouse but they agree that maintaining a healthy and happy home for their minor kids is the priority so the objective.

I was surprised and somewhat disappointed by how no one mentioned a different decision based on whether someone has children on not.

The only person, so far, that has touched on that aspect was @shhImsleeping. Her post stated how she is grateful her parents finally divorced since staying together was not healthy for the kids, And this is definitely a fair point and a very important point one will need to consider if they do plan on staying with their spouse for the sake of the children.

I think the hardest thing for me personally in a marriage and why I would consider divorce would be, assuming their is no abuse, adultery or addiction, if I did not respect my partner. If I am in a relationship that ever gets to that point, then I know the relationship is done. I think, if you have respect for your partner, there is a chance to save a relationship. But if there is no respect, there is no hope.

My two cents for what it is worth...

• Most people say cheating which makes sense but have you ever seen those couples who just feel indifferently towards each other like they don't care at all about the other one? The disregard is even stronger than the disrespect? Time to walk away.

• Should I ever be fortunate enough to get married to someone who loves me and I love him, I would never want it to end. I'd want us to be together forever. I couldn't possibly imagine not waking up next to him each morning and seeing his handsome face smiling back at me or saying goodnight to him as I lay next to him. I couldn't possibly imagine never being able to hug and be held by him, to kiss him or say "I love you" to him again. I just couldn't! There are so many things that I couldn't imagine not doing and not having anymore.

I'd make it very clear early on that I'd never want a divorce as I'd rather do whatever it takes to make the relationship work so we both would be happy. Marriages are not easy and require constant effort, work and communication, amongst other things. I know that when I say my vows to him, I would literally mean every single word of them and I know that I would do whatever it takes to make him as happy as he makes me (except granting a divorce). I know that should I ever get married, I would love him so deeply that his happiness, health and wellbeing are my priorities. I'd try to be such a good wife from the very beginning to make sure that he has no reason to ever be unhappy within our marriage.

• Till death due you two apart. That is how it SHOULD END. Both partners, whether they got married young or not, arranged or not should make every effort to support, learn to love and grow to love their spouses. If you can't give your all 100% everyday then you shouldn't be getting married.

• When there is more pain than pleasure, little gain and more loss. As long as the good outweighs the bad you have no reason to walk away.

• If they are arguing more than agreeing

• When there is no more respect left.
    So If there is:
    Physical violence
    Psychological violence
    Infidelity
    Insulting your honor and your family
    If one suddenly refuses sexual relation

Etc

• Sexual relations * like suddenly becomes asexual and other doesn't want that.

But I guess people can divorce when they just can't stand the other person anymore.

• @ElissaDido 👉 You and your siblings should be made aware of their inheritance. My dad knew a wealthy family that lost a lot. The father failed to construct a proper will + educate their kids - because people don't like the thought of death. All his assets were taxed and given to our state to control who gets what.
      ❌The kids were only left with 3mill which is pocket change to the original wealth.
      And you need a good $5mill minimum to consider yourself rich.

• If the father planned it properly and had accounts like mine - the kids could have kept every penny.
      Like my dad is 58 and I'm having to sign things and his will/trust is always being reassessed.

• when death occurs
    or when both aren't interested in keeping their "relationship alive" anymore and take their marriage for granted.

• When you can pay your lawyers $10,000+

• When both parties are so miserable they can't stand it anymore.

• It should never end but unfortunately this is how things are now.

• When the partners cease to give each other what they need.

• A marriage should end when there are irreconcilable problems within the marriage which is making the marriage unpleasant for both parties.

• I think when your values no longer align with the other person's or you feel you cannot be happy anymore with that person being in your life

• If abuse is involved.

• Ideally death.
    Second option when your partner makes you wish you were dead.

• Whenever the two aren't willing to fight for each other anymore.

• When someone cheats, when a partner becomes abusive, or when you start to hate each other.

• You have to many problems and arguments that you can't fix

• When you give up

• Proper vows - Till Death Do Us Part unless he has cheated on you then that's grounds for divorce