How long did it take you to get over your ex/fall in love with another?

How did you cope with your break up?

• Around a week
  • Around 1 month
  • Just over 1 month
    Vote C
  • More (elaborate)
    Vote D

1526

Most Helpful Guy

• I've only dated one girl and the relationship lasted for a month before she left me. I was devastated. For the first 3 months all I did was lay in bed and think about her. Only got up to go to work or other required obligations. After that school started again so that took my mind off her a bit, but I still thought about her a lot. After a year is when I finally started to get over her and she wasn't the primary thing I think about all the time. She still crosses my mind everyday and it makes me sad each time, but I think about her a lot less now to the point that I'd say I'm over her.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some (hopefully short) back story. I met a guy on vacation when I was 14. We were really good friends - hit it off right away. Never thought we'd see each other again.

When I was 15, I dated a guy for 7 months. He got a bit controlling (read: tried to strangle me for asking another guy a math question) and we broke up. I went on vacation literally the next day. 10 days into the vacation, the guy from the first vacation showed up.

I am now engaged to said vacation guy. So... yeah. 10 days. It took me 10 days to get over my ex.

What Guys Said 25

• The very first girl I loved broke my heart and put me in a deep dark depression. I dropped out of high school because of her, and attempted suicide more than once. After about six months of lying in bed and feeling miserable, another girl practically fell into my lap, we started talking, and within a few days we were a couple. The thing is that she kind of saved my life, because the night she first contacted me (it was over the phone), I was planning on attempting suicide again, and that time I probably would have been successful. Talking to her every day and being her boyfriend also gradually got me out of my depression.

• I was with my ex-wife for 7 years. I started dating 3 months after we split, and I fell in love about a year later.

• usually a week or less. Granted, though, I never have been in a relationship that lasted longer than two months, so a few days is probably proportional to longer relationships.

• (I broke off a live-in relationship of over 2 years) now: 4 months post break-up, 3 months since she moved out, 2 months since we said our goodbyes and stopped talking (to make this easier) and I am mostly over it... there are moments though, when I just start crying (at the supermarket, in my car, at work, on the street) - lasts 5-30 minutes, then I am ok again... so my answer is I guess still coping with it :( Never thought if I'd end it, that it would still hurt this bad, this long...

• My last relationship was 4 years it's been 10 months since I ended it. Still not over it. Wish she would have been honest and faithful but she wasn't. Still have love for her never want to be in love with her again

• I was suppressing it for a very long time, i just couldn't forget, rather not tell how long. So i cut all ties with her, now i don't know anything about her, i heard she's in happy relationship. It took me long time, but feelings for her eventually faded off. Now, i don't even remember her that much.

• Together over 11 years. Ready to start properly dating after 6 months. Fell in love again after 2 years.

• It depends. 3 week „relatinship” had totall breakdown and 6 monhts of pain, for example.
    But usually it was painful for months.

• She broke off with me early 2012 after 2year relationship. Still love her and haven't been with someone else since then.

• it can easily take 1/3 to 1/2 the time you were together. together for a year could easily mean 4-6 months if you had a strong attachment.

• It took me like two months to get over a 2 years relationship, now im in love with a girl and i think it would take more than a year if we broke up

• It depends in how long was the relationship, are you still in love or not, was the relationship good or bad

• It took me a year to get over my first love.

• You'll move on, give it time.

• It really depends on the relationship you had and how long it lasted. Most guys would agree that if a girl did you wrong then we find anew and forget asap.

• never really did. some you get over and some you don't. in time you learn to live with it. Take up a hobby or hang out with friends. there is always over eating or having a unhealthy amount of sexual partners. How ever we deal life goes on.

• long time. till i found someone else

• before I started to date again I took me 22 years

• Widower, (/widow)
    toss that one one the pile

• I'll let you know when I stop hurting from my breakup.

• four year relationship. ended on the day my mom got cancer. over her, still not ready to trust someone not to cheat if something terrible happens in the future. Has been approx 14 months.

• Hon, listen, it's going to take you a lot longer than a few weeks to get over someone, it'll take a few months or even a year. But you broke up for a reason, and one day you'll realize that it was for the best and you won't even care about this guy anymore. If you do still feel strongly for him a few months down the line, though, just contact him and ask if you can see each other as friends. If he says yes, go from there. Sometimes people just need space for a while. If he ignores you, then you know that he's not interested and you just move on. Don't worry, either way things will work out in the end.

• About 7 years :(

• Until I was boning a new bitch. A day or so.

• maybe some of us never do. we just grow a litter colder and keep that part supressed.

What Girls Said 14

• 6 months. I coped by isolating myself and cry when I needed it. I threw away everything that reminded me of him. Out of sight out of mind... something like that.

• With my most recent ex, it took me about 3 months. With my first ex, it took me the better part of 8 months. It really depends on how it ended and who ended it.

• It usually took me 3-4 months to get over a six month relationship. Now I've been in a relationship for almost two years, so would imagine if we broke up, it would take much more than that.

• 3 fucking years.

• About two years. I consider it as time lost for nothing. That was just to get rid of feelings.

• Never trust another man again.

• im single for a year and i tried dating again but my heart is intensely broken i still cry if i think about him and it still drives me insane so i guess some break ups could take a whole while to get over it

• It depends on how much I loved that person. If it was more so casual, usually 3 months. If I was deeply in love, 6 months to a year.

• I crushed twice after him but I still didn't get over him. It took me 6 months to get over him

• one month. But he had been very cruel to me so it wasn't so much that I needed to get over him that it was that I had to heal. It probably would have been more if I hadn't met my current partner. He was/is so amazing that it went a lot faster.

• Years!!!

• 1 DAY.

• A day. I move on quickly

• 2 years