Why do people stay in relationships they're not happy in?

1419

Most Helpful Guy

• Many possible reasons (fear of being alone, skeptical of a future or better relationship, trying to work things, etc.) and I hope such relationships aren't common.

Incompatibility and financial problems are probably the only relationship killers, the latter being curable and the other not lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because they feel that they can never have another relationship after the ones they're already in. It's low esteem issues, abuse and lack of assertiveness. They never had the ability to really leave a relationship that was sexual, and that is what ties and binds people. That is how dangerous premarital sex is. It is used as a weapon to hold you captive spiritually, and the person can be used emotionally because the one who gave out the most are often the ones who emotionally invested more. Then you have cases where they don't have a good reason to. Relationships aren't always about being happy. It has its ups and downs, and sometimes you have immature people who just doesn't want to change or try to make their partner change. Overall, we are responsible for our OWN happiness. It is not our partner's job to provide that, though they overall should if that is what they want by showing you how they love you. That should make you happy to be with them in the first place. But if you're one of those unsatisfied people, then the issue is you as a person, and you can't blame your relationship issues on the other if you can't even communicate.

What Guys Said 18

• It's easier for them to lock down the person they don't like, but have history with and they're too scared to start over.

TLDR; Fear

• LOVE duh. you kids are saying "woke" yet none look up from the phone long enough. we had less choice, so we changed that, and the next generation takes it for granted.. look Shit up?, try reading it from a book and remember it. 100 years ago electricity was a luxury. a phone was a one In a lifetime purchase, it stayed with the home.. it had to, they were wired strait inline to the junction box. electric pulse rather than tone recognized.

• they have no other choice they stay in relationship with ray of hope that everything will be alright soon

if they fall in another crush, they break the first one immediately

• because many bitchy feelings are stuck in the middle like love and care 😂

• Because they're afraid to be single

• Principally, for two reasons: fear of end up alone or not finding someone better, and the status that a relationship gives you. And I´m not talking only about money, but the implication that, if you have a relationship, then you´re worth enough.

• afraid to be alone, scared the other will hurt themselves, using them for something, not knowing how to end it.

• Afraid of being alone.

• can't get out

• I did stay in mine because I still saw the good in her and was completely in love with her.

• low self esteem

• Because they are idiots.

• Because they fear to be lonely

• They're afraid of being alone and don't know how esle to be happy.

• comfortable/scared of change. forgot what it was like to be hi happy. $$$$$. status

• Because they don't respect themselves. Probably the same reason they got in it

• Making fool ourselves

• because women are weak and easy to push around...

What Girls Said 13

• Social psychology 101: the more we invest, the less likely we are to walk away. Same reason people lose it all in gambling, stocks, blah, blah, blah.

We invest, because we think we've chosen a good investment. If it goes wrong, not only do we have to cut our losses, but it also tends to shine a mirror back on ourselves for "having chosen poorly."

Nobody likes to think they picked a bad investment and are now having to deal with loss and fallout because of what they chose. So... people stay, they blame the other, they rage at all possible external forces to make sense of/alleviate the guilty and responsibility of "their choice" going south. It usually takes something so aberrant that the person is willing to accept the losses rather than continue. Examples: people tolerate shitty attitude, but don't tolerate cheating.

• Because they don't believe they deserve any better, or they don't believe they're ever going to be happy alone.

We accept the love we think we deserve.

• Everyone gets a little unhappy in their relationships sometimes, there's are always going to be ups in downs in a relationship. Doesn't mean you just quit when your having a rough patch, you sit down and talk it over.

• I did this, for a while actually. I had been with a guy for almost 2 years and it was perfect, until around 1 and a half years, then shit got real bad. He was lying, cheating and I forgave him and stayed but I wasn't happy and to be honest, I didn't even think I loved him anymore, but I stayed because I didn't want to be lonely and thought I wouldn't find someone else.
    But here I am 8 months on and its the best decision I ever made leaving that C**t :)

• I would imagine many reasons: lingering feelings and not being able to fall "out of love" with the person, fear of change or loneliness and the other person being great in bed maybe. Who knows

• They don't want to be alone

• They are comfortable, don't want to hurt the other person and don't want to be alone or see them with someone else.

• Habit and low self-esteem

• they don't wanna be alone

• Fear of the unknown is a driving force in our loves. Sometimes people get complacent because it is "good enough" now, as they are afraid of what would happen when they left said relationship.

• Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

• Because they're familiar with it. And the familiarity makes it comfortable.

• Fear of being alone. They've been comfortable being with that somebody and don't want to start knowing someone new cause that's work all over again.