Who keeps the dog after a breakup?

0|4

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a good question, and it entirely depends in the jurisdiction you live in. Pets are legally considered property, no different than material property like a car or household appliances, etc. I know that sounds terrible to say, but that's just how it is. Pets are not children. The couple in question has to get along well enough to decide where pets will go, if they don't want a judge to decide for them.

My husband and I have two dogs. One is older than the other, but they are both very bonded to each other. Ideally, we would take one each if we ever split up. That's actually the agreement we have in place, but on the other hand is it fair to split up a bonded pair? THAT'S the hard question that would have to be answered. I hope I never have to answer it, though. Lol.

1|3
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• The couple should make a rational decision, based upon with whom the dog has bonded the strongest and whose future living arrangements would be most suited to a dog.
    When my last cohabitation situation ended, I got custody of the cat.
    There was a mutual loathing between the human female and the cat.
    He showed himself to be a much better judge of character than I was.
    I learned to not trust anyone who did not like cats, or whom cats did not like.

4|3
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 106

• Whoever bonded with the dog more. My ex didn't take our cat because she was def my cat she didn't have much to do with him.

4|5
    0|1
  • Usually, a dog can be considered like a baby. If you want to have joint custody then that's your choice. Also, it would be the best decision if you both want the dog. Or you can decide among yourselves. If one is living further away like in another city then you're going to have to choose. Usually it's the one who is more capable or financially stable to keep the dog since they can provide for her/him.

0|2
    0|0
  • If it was a gift then the person it was gifted to. If it was something you decided together then whoever paid for it, if both did then either whoever can afford to keep the dog or do stone, paper scissors or something of the kind. Or if the dog is more attached to a specific person by a large margin then the person the dog is most attached to.

1|1
    0|0
  • Who ever bough/adopted the dog or primarily cared for the dog.

10|11
    0|0
  • If the dog was owned by one of the partners before the relationship then that person should retain ownership after the breakup. However, if the dog was brought into the partnership by both parties then whomever is the primary caregiver should get the dog. If both parties shared responsibility for the dog equally & no agreement can be reached, then it's fair game to take it to court.

1|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 189

• Simple, the person who purchased or received the dog or the person who genuinely cares for the dog more. If the person who purchased the dog loves and cares for the dog dearly, then he or she should keep it.

If the person who purchased the dog, does not take care of it or mistreated it and the other person in the relationship is the more loving/caring type then he or she should have it.

If both individuals love the dog dearly, my guess is it should still go to the person who purchased the dog. If purchasing or receiving the dog was based on a couple decision, that's tough. I am not trying to be mean but it's a dog, I understand the symbolic feeling it is for (man's best friend) but the other person who does not receive the dog can buy a puppy and care for it, raise it properly, in a new home, in a new environment.

I'm sure animals who care for their owners deeply will be confused or upset if they do not see 1 particular owner but unfortunately, like children, they have to deal with it. Life throws curve balls and it's not always ideal or fun to deal with but when it comes to breaking up/relationships it is hard to the individuals involved as well.

Best of luck.

0|0
    0|0
  • first off, if your not married it is irresponsible to get a pet. I don't care if you have "intentions" on getting married or not. If you do, then you should plan for who gets the pet before you even go get it and have it in writing.
    If your married it is trickier. Right now our dog goes where the kids go. So they spend 2 weeks with me, 2 weeks with her. She goes wherever they stay. After they move out, then we will figure something out. But I don't see changing the every 2 weeks.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd let the dog choose. If the dog is ambivalent, then it should go to the person who spends the most time and/or money on the dog. The dog should be allowed to visit the ex for a bit, as the breakup affects them too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care who she is, or how many dogs has has or will have. If it was mine, or we got it together, I'm keeping that little shit with me till it grows old and dies. It'll be much more loyal than she was anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends on how the dog was brought into the home. Besides that, say that the dog was adopted and not a present for example, the dog should go to the home with the person who has the most stable home. Has ebough time for the dog and knows how to take care of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes