My boyfriend didn't wanna marry me, I did something awful. How can I fix this?

So I met him back when we were 10 years old. He moved next door, but didn't become friends until we were 14. From then on, we were best friends.

We started dating when we were 21. We're 28 now, live together, both have a career and we're pretty well off. I mentioned marriage about two years ago. And he was all for it. We talked and talked about it endlessly and he said he wanted to. But I eventually got tired of waiting and he's now saying he doesn't know. If you're with someone for 7 years, how do you not know?
(Btw. I never have him an ultimatum)
it turned into an argument and besides sleeping in the same bed, I've been basically avoiding him. I wake up earlier, take off to work, and later in the evening made plans with friends and would go to sleep after he's asleep. He called me out on it yesterday and told me he was tired of it and didn't want to play games. And then started pointing out all the bad stuff he doesn't like about me.

So, yesterday, while he was at work, and it was my day off, I packed up all my stuff and left. I'm staying at a friend's. My plan was to go apartment shopping but he has filled my voicemail with messages of him crying. Begging me to come back. As well as texts.

But if i go back, I'm right back where I started; wanting to get married (and having kids down the line) and not getting it from him. But it's also painful letting him go. I need time to think but will he be okay with me needing time? I don't know what to do. I know what I did was immature. I was just extremely hurt. And now I need advice? Anyone have any experience with this? At this point, did I make the right choice for me or not?

1321

Most Helpful Guy

• And this is why you're still not married. YOU ARE still not ready.

You don't get what you want so you punish = fail
    You avoid = fail
    You argue = fail
    You shacked up instead of getting married in the first place = fail

What a cryin' shame. And what a fucked up mess. I really feel bad for you, this should NEVER have happened. You took a really good thing, a loving relationship, two successful people, and just blew it up. Just fantastic.

I'd tell you to piss up a rope. Get your shit and get out.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I left because I was the only one TRYING. A relationship is a two way street here. I make a majority of the income between me and him. I cleaned up the apartment, did the cooking, did the laundry, etc. all while working 60 hours a week vs his 40. And STILL tried talking to him about his qualms about marriage and HE shut himself off. I tried for two years to talk to him about it. So don't talk about failure to me.

• *... mouth...

That's all you get. There's nothing more here. :)

• I apparently can't keep a man but you obviously couldn't keep your first wife happy.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in two minds.
    You didn't issue your ultimatum which is a huge mistake. Ultimatums have such a negative connotation but as long as you're following through with what you're saying it's basically just stating your end point. It's not forcing them to do what you want, it's forcing them to decide what's important and possible.
    You've been talking about it for two years but haven't set timelines or the priority for the relationship to continue. He can't know when your limit is without that if all you've ever done is talk about it. Then you left him without discussing it which is just horrible.

On the other, he hasn't taken your wishes and needs seriously nor communicated his own and where he stands on it. You're completely within your rights to want what you want and if he can't/won't work with you there is no point in staying.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • after "talk and talk" for 7 years, i am sure the they passed the ending point. if he doesn't underatand that, it is because he didn't care enough. i dont it is necessary ultimatum here. it pretty clear what she wanted and he wasn't negleted that.

• @alexandremp people talk about things all the time, without a "due" date it's just talk. How many kids we'll have doesn't mean anything until we have the discussion about WHEN it's happening. Talking and dreaming about building our final home is just talk until we make the plan and set the date we want to have it done by.
      To him the marriage talk could be the same thing, issuing the ultimatum isn't about forcing him. It's about making it clear her needs are genuine and they need action now. Communicating and understanding when our partner is being serious instead of making conversation and dreaming of the future is important