He broke up with me a year ago and I'm not completely over it?

He was my first relationship, I was in love with him, and he broke my heart over a year ago when he told me there was someone else, and that he no longer had feelings for me. I at first had a really difficult time with moving on, but it's gotten easier as time passed. Since then, because I've been in college, being in school is a great way to take my mind off of things. But I met him when we were still in high school, and so whenever I go back home, I keep finding myself reminded of him. I find myself missing him. It's as if all the progress I made in moving on for the past year goes away as soon as I get home. I have only one thing left that reminds me of him (a book he gave me, which I keep hidden out of my sight, and I plan to give it away soon).

Is this normal?
What can I do to stop thinking about this guy (who I haven't spoken to in over a year)?
2
2