An old flame reignited, but seems the embers are going out. Help?

Back in April I reencountered an old flame from 15 years ago. We flirted and hit it off again and soon were meeting up for dinner again.
15 years ago we were fairly serious but it ended badly when he broke it off for another girl. But when we got back together this time, he seemed to have done quite a bit of self evaluation and apologized quite perfusely for how he treated me. He said he had thought about me numerous times through the years and even looked up my address and drove past my house numerous times when he thought of me. Knowing him, I found this endearing.
The first month or so was fairly good, we got together when we could (frequently) and would talk for hours. However, as time has went on it slowed, we have recently only seen each other once every couple weeks and our conversations in between have waned to very little. When we do get together there is still hours of conversation and the spark is still there, but he makes many excuses why we can't see each other more often. Today the excuse was that he had to mow his lawn. He has a busy schedule with work and finishing his doctorate, as do I (with work and school); but I personally feel you make time for what's important. He tells me how much he likes me, enjoys time with me and could see us being long term, but his actions say otherwise. On top of this, we never actually go on dates anywhere (just watching tv and talking) and he hasn't told his friends or family he's dating anyone. After today, I'm pretty fed up with the requests for "rain checks" and being blown off. I've told him so, with no response. I'm pretty sure we're done, what I don't understand is why put in all the effort to rekindle something with a person he's pined for just to not follow through by making an effort. I can tell you he is not seeing anyone else, I know this for certain (I know this will be a thought). If someone has any insight I would like to hear it?
0
2