What was the reason behind your break up/divorce?

By emotional incompatibility, I mean: Your partner stops caring about you, etc.

• Emotional/Sexual incompatibility
    35%(12)36%(31)Vote37%(19)
  • Abusive Relationship
    21%(7)20%(17)Vote20%(10)
  • Long Distance Relationship
    3%(1)8%(7)Vote12%(6)
  • My Partner's Past (High number of sexual partners, etc.)
    0%(0)4%(3)Vote6%(3)
  • My partner suggested something which I would never do (threesome, etc.)
    6%(2)2%(2)Vote0%(0)
  • Rape
    3%(1)1%(1)Vote0%(0)
  • Haven't had a break up or divorce/more than one reasons from these/others
    32%(11)29%(24)Vote25%(13)

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• My breakup was due to him overreacting.

We dated in 9th grade. He got mad that I asked a mutual male friend a math question while waiting for the bus instead of him (he wasn't there yet) and when he found out he yelled at me and tried to punch said mutual male friend in the face and then I yelled at him and he grabbed me by the throat and picked me up off the ground... so I punched him in the face.

So... yeah. End relationship.

What Guys Said 23

• You know, it was a few things. We were sexually incompatible (and were even before marriage), but I sort of put up with that. She hated my family and my family hated her, but I put up with that too. But what finally caused me to push hard on those divorce papers was the finances. We made $410k in our last year of marriage and there were still months where we lived paycheck to paycheck. I would try to go over bills with her and she would sit there with me going over things for like a minute before standing up and saying "Well, if we can't make things work with how much we make, then there's something wrong" and she'd walk out as if that somehow would answer it. As things were grinding to an end, I confronted her about $64,000 that I found missing and asked her what she did with the money. She told me that how she spent "her" money was was none of my business. Sigh...

• I was an open book. She was an evil, nut-stomping harpy who pretended to be my dream girl because she thought my family had money. Literally the very day that she discovered that we were just middle class and classy, her whole attitude changed. That was one year into the marriage. It took me another 6 years to grow tired of her crap, fall out of love for good and move on.

• After 6 months, I was in love with her. After two years, she still wasn't in love with me and I knew it would never happen, so I left someone who I loved.

• Partner didn't want to do anything except sit and watch TV all day. No going out, no sex, barely worked, didn't clean. I got tired of being the only one doing anything, we discussed it many times over several years and nothing changed.

• My wife got out of our marriage under the "till death do us part" clause, and my last relationship ended when I discovered she was an abusive, batshit lunatic.

• My ex wife was a nasty horrible person and developed a drink problem that she wouldn't admit to so in turn wouldn't seek help for.

• My mother was the reason why i break up, and know i'm teaching her smoothly couple lessons she need to know about.

• "Emotional/Sexual incompatibility"
    But she did not stop caring about me. She just did stop being in love with me.

• There was lot of emotional problems that prevented me and my ex girlfriend from having a successful meaningful loving relationship.

• When we discovered we were not able to have kids, the sex stopped. I stayed faithful for 12 years. I told her I was moving on. I have. Now I'm separated, and I have a sex life again.

• never dated so no break up.

• Haven't been in a relationship.

• Over some xanex and my reckless life. She said , u life is my life. What ever u do it's hurt me the most

• She kept gaining weight and often became unreasonable and we had stupid arguments.

• trusting issues...
    i really can't trust anyone... anymore.

• Incompatibility and losing feelings

• One - her family
    Second - LDR

• its a very Sad story , I don't have girlfriend till now...

• long story, message me

• my ex wife also had an affair with a guy in her work while I was working 500 miles away

• nope of the above

• lost Trust honesty you can't trust your partner it's not going to work

• She was dishonest with me repeatedly, not affectionate enough, selfish, greedy.

What Girls Said 8

• There were a lot of reasons. I think it came down to us not loving each other enough though, but then again, ask me at another time and I'll tell you it was something different. We were long distance, so a lot of problems were there. They were there long before we started dating though. We didn't have a lot of trust, and it was fine at first but once small things started creeping in, it was a mess. He started a new job and I got this feeling that he would meet someone new, which he did. I don't know how long he had feelings for this chick, but they ended up together. He told me he just couldn't do it anymore. I don't believe he ever loved me. If he did, how could you just leave me like that? Til this day I can't wrap my head around it.

• My past relationship ended because it begun too fast. We had known each other 4 hours before beginning it. We were pretty much just young and stupid.

• he was a jerk

• He was very jealous and controlling, any guy I would talk to he always overthink it and call me names and beating me up. I wasn't allowed to go out with friends, drink alcohol or smoke. I had enough of his bullshit so I left. Booked a 1way ticket and never looked back. I've missed him and the good times weve had. But nkw im happily married and have moved on...

• His definition of relationship was a super exclusive friendship. That means I can't have sex and I pretty much had no social life. Also he tried to control what I wear and his options were ugly and made me look like a shapeless blob.

• I have had two break-ups before. The first one was because the guy didn't like my personality anymore and thought I was too boring. So he cheated on me and dumped me. The second one was because the guy lost interest in a long distance relationship.

• After 14 years of his compulsive lying, narcissistic personality, Narcotic abuse and porn obsession, and always being told to leave if I didn't like it. I finally got off the abusive band wagon and left.

• That's sad, 14 years. Why didn't you leave earlier?

• I could come up with all sorts of reasons but in the end, it was because I became too insecure and down on myself and thought I wasn't good enough for anything. Then one day, I decided enough was enough. I got tired of the emotional abuse.

• With my last break up, it was because I wanted to be exclusive after dating dating for 4+ months and he still kept updating this online profile and kept his options open. So I left