Should I Completely Cut My Ex Out of My Life?

He broke up with me after six months because of college, and it's been about three weeks since it happened. There was no fighting, and we ended on good terms, because it was for a valid reason and I understood why he was making the decision he made.

I haven't texted him at all since and vice versa, and I don't intend to for awhile, at least until I feel better, however I don't want to cut him completely out of my life. I still consider him a good friend and I don't want to completely burn the bridge.

I feel like though, the way we separated, it's intended that we burn the bridge and never turn back. Obviously I don't want to get back together with him, that would be ridiculous, but should I still keep him in my life for a future friendship or whatever? Or should I just abandon it?

12

What Guys Said 2

• It's perhaps too soon to ask for friendship. As a couple you've been very close, friendship would naturally be considered a downgrade so I don't think that it'd work. It'd be awkward to hang out with someone you love listening about all these new people in their lives, watching them being hit on but not reacting because you know that you don't have a right to do so anymore. It's only natural that you'd like to stay on good terms, you wouldn't have been with him in the first place if you didn't think that he was a quality person, but you need some time to reestablish your relationship and eventually move on. There is indeed a possibility that you two will eventually get back together but you shouldn't count on it. The best thing to do in this situation is the simplest and perhaps most difficult one you could possibly do; do nothing at all. Don't block him but don't initiate conversation neither, don't stalk his social media, don't ask about him and try to focus on something else since there has to be something else that interests you (and if there isn't then you should look for something ASAP!).

I've kinda had same dilemma about my ex but I've realised that I don't want to be someone who has to cut off people whenever I get hurt/break up. For me love = freedom and I just hope that one day we'll be able to meet again as happier people, so I don't mind if she finds happiness with me or someone else as long as she does. ^-^

• you should've cut him off a long time ago

What Girls Said 1

• yes bitch