Why has he done this?

My boyfriend and I recently broke up about a month ago. Due to many issues such as abuse, ignoring me, etc. Now that we have split we are still forced to live together for the time being. He has moved his office into the basement and never comes out! Like from the time he wakes up 9am until 2-3AM! I only see him when he comes up briefly for food or what not. He's on the computer all day, watches movies, and gets high. Many of these things are why we broke up. The thing Is, is that he locks the door so that I cannot come down. This is just sooo weird to me. It's like he's locking himself away. I thought that perhaps he would try and patch things up with me, but nada. I have no idea what's going on with him. Help!!!

15

Most Helpful Guy

• Being someone with similar habits that I still have after a breakup from 2008, my opinion is that he may be feeling lost and depressed. Filling the hole left by the broken relationship with whatever he can.. he probably keeps the basement dimly lit because sunlight does not make him feel better. Since I'm still like this, I don't know what kind of advice to give you. Also for whatever reason though, he may feel betrayed or just downright in adequate as partner.. If you were at fault for anything that caused you guys to break up, and you're actually sorry, try apologizing to him. This probably won't fix anything but, ya never know, it just might.

• Thanks for the advice. He was extremely abusive so apologizing would only feed into that I'm afraid. Are you depressed? Why are you still hiding out?

• Yeah, I'm probably depressed. But what's new? I'm not particularly happy, but I'm not really uncomfortable either. I never abused my girlfriend though, and I don't smoke weed either.. he may have already been like this before you two started dating. My advice would be to move out and find someone that likes and appreciates you.

• Thanks for the advice! And I hope your not depressed. That's a bad feeling. I've been there.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in that exact situation. I had to live with him for sometime after I broke up with him. I ended up moving out of state. I would have been happy as hell if he kept to himself when we lived together and instead I got out of the house as much as I could or he would be gone all day. I'd say don't worry about it and don't try to patch things up cause from the sounds of it, he's not trying to change. You can't make a man change even by breaking up with him. He has to want to change. Try to come up with a way to either move out or have him move out and move on girl.

• Thanks girl!! Totally agree that you can't make a man change- even by dumping them. Some guys are just bound to remain losers no matter what. It is def. mad awkward when you still have to live together though. Everything just has so much tension. It's like a switch of a light. Glad that you got out though😊

• Lol yeah def awkward! Yeah, he was a bum and couldn't make it on his own. Best decision I ever made was leaving. Good luck!

What Guys Said 4

• just give him some space for sometimes let him be alone for sometimes after that you can ask as friend whats going on are you alright

• do you know some of his friends? maybe you could contact (as it seems he doesn't want to communicate with you anymore) them and try to know if there's something that weights on him, worries him? that could be the source of such actions...

• apparently he doesn't care anymore.

• Apparently not. He used to do this alsonto his ex wife when things were bad with them. It's like he avoids reality

• kind of yes

• possibly depression...

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!