What age should a child be left alone at home?

i have a daughter that is 9 she will be 10 in 3 months I trust her very much so. but she has been asking if she can stay home alone like when I go to the store because she doesn't want to go but I don't know if that is a safe age. what do you think?

thank you every one!

95

Most Helpful Guy

• Call me an over protective father. My oldest daughter wasn't allowed to be home alone for more than 20min or so till she was 13, and that was rather rough on dad. Heck, being a single parent was hard enough.

It really depends on how responsible she is. Both my girls were very dependable, but it wasn't so much them I was worried about. Too many weirdos loose in the world.

What Guys Said 4

• It's fine. If she's not the kind of girl who is always getting into trouble, then the more of a deal you make it, the worst it's going to be. Let her know that it's not a big deal that you leave her alone in the house, because if she doesn't think it's something special, she's not gonna care about it and will just end up acting as though you were there, which is pretty much what you want.

Just tell her to behave while you're gone and go. If she screws up something or does something you feel that she shouldn't have, just punish her and tell her that if she doesn't learn to behave while you are gone, you're never going to trust her and that she'll be getting dragged along every time you leave the house. I'm pretty sure that isn't what she wants, so trying to earn your confidence will be her top priority when you give her this first chance.

• I say give her progressively more trust, and if she proves responsible, then good. If not, scale things back. You can quiz her about stuff. What happens if the phone rings. What happens if the doorbell rings. What's off-limit (knives, Lysol). Where she can go and where not.

• That would depend on how long you're gone. If it's just for an hour or two I don't see why not. I used to roam all over my neighborhood at that age.

• Depends on how mature and responsible and more importantly how smart she is.

What Girls Said 9

• I think its illegal to leave your child home alone until they're 12, but then again, nothing is illegal unless you get caught. Like a lot of people said before, it depends on how safe your neighborhood is. I think it also depends on what kind of security you have (security system, big dog, a few dogs, etc.).

• I think she would be fine. I'm such a worrier that I can barely leave my daughter with a babysitter, so I doubt that I'd ever be able to leave her home alone even if I did trust she would be fine. Honestly, I'm sure that a ten year old would be fine by themselves.

• Well I was left alone at home at 10 but it all depends on how resposable the child is and it also depends on the time she's home alone because if its a long time she has to be able to make her self food or keep her self occupied I would try it once and see how it goes

• i think legal age is 12.. but then again like everyone else says, depends on how responsible she is and if you live in a trustworthy neighborhood.

• My parents were very strict and didn't allow me to stay home alone till I was 10 and that would only be for no longer than 30 minutes. They allowed me to stay home more as I got older and showed more responsibility. By 12, I took a babysitter's course and was allowed to stay home for a few hours (alone and whenever I babysat). Snaps for being a concerned parent!

• I used to be home alone with my brothers (sometimes) from when I was about 8-9, that's when I 1st had my key. But now I don't live in america it's more safe here so I don't really know, but it shouldn't be any problems?

• if you feel you can trust her then I think you should be able to leave her alone but you should probaly set some ground rules first

• seems fine to me x

• I would say 12 or 13 to be left alone but that's just because of the dangers in the world, not because the child can't be trusted.