What's the point in lying?

So my ex tried to get me back a few weeks ago. We didn't because it turned out he'd slept with quite a few people and been messaging women in our 5 week split.

After this all came out he said he wasn't wanting a relationship and thinks he needs to sort things out first and that he'd just end up hurting me.

So it ended nicely, with I love yous and it will take me a long time to get over you blah blah blah then I saw him on tinder, it said he was looking for some fun or a relationship with the right person. So I confronted him about it and asked why he couldn't have just told me the truth the week before. He said I can think what I like but he's not looking to be with anyone. He also tried to get in touch with me last week which I ignored because otherwise I'll just get led along the garden path again. I've now seen him on POF where it clearly states his intentions are "looking for a relationship".

Why would he lie to me? It's hardly to spare my feelings is it?

I already know I need to take some of my own advice and stop bloody looking for him! I want to move on but he keeps finding ways of getting in touch with me which puts him prominently in my mind.
What's the point in lying?
2
2