Have you ever had a partner ask for "space" or "a break" and it did NOT lead to a break up?

Have you ever had a partner ask for "space" or "a break" and it did NOT lead to a break up?I just responded to a question about whether a partner's request for "space" or "a break" is a legitimate thing to do in a relationship or is it total BS. Whenever I hear one of those phrases, I think the dumpor wants to break up but is afraid that the dumpee is going to emotionally disintegrate as soon as they hear the phrase "break up," and dumpor does not want to deal with tears, anger, etc., so they are taking the coward's way out and asking for "time out" with no intentions of ever returning to the relationship.

But. . . OlderAndWiser knows it's a big world out there with many different people and maybe some people go through this experience and it actually keeps a relationship alive so tell me, what is your experience with this request for "space" or "a break?"

• I have never had a partner ask for "space," a "break," etc.
  • I have had a partner ask for "space," a "break," etc. and it led to a break up
  • I have had a partner ask for "space," a "break," etc. and it did NOT lead to a break up
    Vote C
  • I have had a partner ask for "space," a "break," etc. in more than one relationship; sometimes we stayed together and sometimes it led to a break up
    Vote D

57

Most Helpful Girl

• I asked for a break so he could decide whether he wants to stay with me. We broke up on the day after he said he loves me.

• Why did you wonder, one day after he confessed his love for you, whether he wanted to stay with you?

• It was, just not romantic one. We're still very close friends.

• That is what I meant. What he felt was not romantic love. If that is what he felt, you would have had no doubt about his desires.

Most Helpful Guy

• That happened to me along time ago and it lead to a break up, I know it means break up the moment I hear it.

What Girls Said 4

• We took a break because he thought his presence was affecting how well my mental illnesses were being coped with. Needless to say I didn't get better after losing my support system, but he ended up conceding on asking for a break and we've been fine ever since

• I've asked my very first ex before but never got it. Didn't go on vacation with family only because I needed the computer to text him.

• Once, I asked for a break and it led us to a break up unexpectedly. I had hoped it would work out though, cause I figured if we can survive the break then we can make it work in the long run.

• He just never called me for a few months.

What Guys Said 6

• To me space is the same thing as alone time. Everyone needs their alone time in a healthy relationship. No partners can be together 24/7 because they'd drive themselves crazy. One problem people have with alone time are the people dealing with trust issues. They might think their partner is cheating. For a relationship to work trust is very key. If there is no trust the relationship won't work.

Alone time are nights out with friends or alone. Alone time isn't going away for weeks at a time and never contacting your partner. So what you call space and I call alone time is very important. If they refuse to give you the space you need the relationship won't work.

• I don't mean to turn the tables on your question but for a healthy relationship to work you also need to have good communication. Part of no communication with my ex led to my divorce.

No relationship is perfect but for a healthy relationship people need to have both space and communication. If you have those two things hopefully you will have a relationship of lifetime love.

• In my experience, the request for a "break" is never a good sign.

Every time a girlfriend has asked me for a "break", it translated to "I'm secretly seeing someone behind your back, but I don't want to tell you."

• No, girls don't do that with me anymore.

• space is pretty much a break up

• Space is fine but a break is something i wouldn't want.

• Never got space, just got ghosted and that was it