Can I stay friends with my ex boyfriend who broke up with me?

My boyfriend broke up with me. He said very hurtful things like that he didn't love me anymore for a very long time. The situation: I live with my parents and me and my two sisters have been abused by my dad. He sometimes would hit us or scolds at us. For the past five years I have told my ex boyfriend about this and I also have stayed a lot of times at his home where I felt more safe. He was not only my boyfriend but also my best friend and we used to hang out and have fun with each other a lot. But I think it was too much for him. I also have had panic attacks, which was very frustrating for him too. But I visit a psychologist for more than a year who helped me and I have improved a lot. During the breakup he said that he feels more irritated than that he loves me. And that I deserve someone much better. And that if he would keep having a relationship with me that he would do it out of pity rather than out love. I asked him if we ever could stay friends but he said that wouldn't be possible because we are too different. During the breakup I was (of course) very emotional, but he was too, and I think that he wanted to make the breakup more clear by being rough to me. We didn't have a fight or anything and we are also not angry or hateful at each other. I haven't contacted him yet and planning to do that over a few week to return some of our stuff. I don't want to be in a relationship with him anymore, but he is a person in my life who meant a lot to me, and we also now have a lot of mutual friends who we both still hang out with. I want to give him some time to think about staying friends. I know we can't be best friends anymore, but I don't want someone like him disappearing out of my life even if we broke up.
0
2