Which one is worse, parents divorcing as a teenager or as a kid?

Say which one you think is worse and why. Also, if you have any experience in this weather your parents got divorced or you are a divorced parent, use it as reference.

• As a kid (3-9)
  • Pre teen (10-12)
  • Teenager (13-16)
    Vote C
  • late teens/young adults (17-20)
    Vote D

1522

Most Helpful Guy

• As a teacher, we see the scientific studies which show that kids with divorced parents do a lot worse in school than kids whose original birth parents are still married. That is borne out in our classroom. I once made a mental list of all the problem kids in the school, then looked up the database to see who had divorced parents. 80% of the problem kids had divorced parents; and hardly anyone else's parents were divorced.

Getting divorced is still better than a home with physical violence, because physical violence also results in poor academic achievement, and no one should have to put up with that. But the divorce itself definitely scars the kid.

I said as a kid because the kid will have to grow up with the divorce for a longer period of their childhood.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really know. My parents divorced when I was two. It really affects and hurts me though. I wish I was able to see the love. I wish I could've seen them happy. I only have one picture of them together. That's it. I just want to know what it would've been like to witness the love between the two people who are the reason I'm here. A reason I'm enlisting in the military is because I will go where they met. I will be standing in the same place they did 19 years ago. Another negative I've had to switch between parents all of the time. I always worry about moving to the other parent's house because I don't want to hurt them. Also a negative is the step parents. My stepmom has ruined my life. It kind of sucks.

• Yeah I guess any age has its troubles. Mine just got divorced and I am having a hard time, yes, specially since I am just getting into all that dating stuff, meeting men, etc. I have trouble in believing in happy relationships and trusting men you know. Something hard too is that I grew up with a happy family. I did witness arguments too at times, but overall it was fine. And now seeing this breaks my heart. But at least I have the memory of a happy home and love I guess. In your situation I think a perk is that you didn't have that drastic change

What Guys Said 21

• Mother and biological father got divorced when I was six months old. i don't even remember him.. second time was when I was 14 that one I remember the fighting. But honestly I didn't care, just wanted it to stop so I did what I could to get them apart. By talking about the shit storm they started

• Probably as a teen.. Cause you fully realize what's happenin, and it'll hit you hard especially if y'all were a close family..

• I became divorced from my now exwife when my son was 2 years old. All i can say here is it sucks the big one.

• In my honest opinion I think as a teenager would be the worst time because that's usually the age when teens experience so many different mixed emotions to begin with.

• Honestly, not letting the kids spend equal amount of time with each parent after the separate, and each parent shit talking the other.

• Late teens is much worse if they are going to get married again

Their are lots of porns on that case available online 😰😰😰😰😰😨😷

• I'd at least say at kids age is best, because I had seen girls having had their parents divorce while they were kids, and they got used to the new state of life before they had to concentrate on working on their future.

• For sure it is much better when you are between (0-7) cause in this time you are growing and you will adupt to anything that is in your life but when you are between (8-13) you really cat understand the point of that and hurts your feelings pretty bad cause you learned to love them both but now you have to learn to how be with one of the and you might loose the other one in case that it happened when you're between (14~21) you can predict that it's happening and also you can see the reasons as well (not completely but enogh) so depending on your knowing things it might be acceptable or that much ridiculous that fill your all thoughts

• My parents divorced right after I was born, so it didn't affect me at all luckily.

• I was about 3 when my parents separated. I don't really remember them together, and it just feels normal fpr them to be separated. But my friends whose parents split when their kids were 11-15 seemed tp tale it a lot harder.

• Kid because they get affected by it the younger they are because they might blame themselves or the other parent

• Child

• As a kid, def

• Parents divorcing while their children are young ( under teenage)

• Kid. I was 8 when it happened, was super sad at first but adjustable

• Kids

• I think its A cuz kids need to have both of them by their side

• I mean I live with my dad now but I lived with my mom most of my life but then still I went to dad's on weekends and stuff

• @Mâtt_24
      I dont understand what your point is

• who cares about parents divorcing

• I could give 2 shits.

• Oops I miss read and selected something else but as a kid

• My did when I was 20. They couldnt keep their mouths shut talking trash about each other. If I was a kid at the time it would have hurt way more. My friend has it happen to him when he was a kid and he said it was awful.

What Girls Said 14

• Probably as a teenager, just because you're not emotionally developed yet and there's a lot of changes going on in your body. As you transition from childhood to adulthood things can really take a toll on you depending on what's going on. My parents broke up when I was five turning six. I remember the day we were moving out of the house and being upset at the time, but all in all it was for the best and my life turned out way better than it would have, had they stayed together or I lived with my mother. Growing up my parents not being together was my normal situation so it didn't affect me. I'd imaging it would affect a teenager more because their version of normal is shifting completely.

• Divorcing period at any age. I don't think there is ever a worse situation when it comes to age. Divorce is destructive, and it shouldn't be. Divorce hurts, separates, kills and rip families apart.

• I think it would be the worst as a teen, because there are already so many other difficult changes happening at that age.

• I'd say teen because your body and mind is a complete mess so you need your surroundings to be as stable as possible

• I think it's worse as a teenager because as a kid, you still don't understand what is going on. The parents will give a sugarcoated explanation for the divorce. As a teenager, you understand what's going on and your emotions are heightened.

• Exactly! mine just got divorced and im going crazy I hate knowing everything, the reason, my mom ranting about it (she wouldn't be doing it if I was a kid) and is heartbreaking the whole thing. Im thankful they were a happy couple in a happy family my whole childhood, though.

• I'm really sorry to hear that Anastasiya! I hope everything will turn out okay and think of it as an opportunity to become stronger.

• thank you vey much <3

• My parents divorced when I was three, they separated 2 months before I was born. I didn't find out why they divorced until I'd already stopped talking to my father. He was a nasty person. I think the younger the better because that way it doesn't disrupt the child's life the it would when they are teens or older. If the parents get a divorce when the child is young they will be used to that way of life, that will be their norm.

• As a kid it isn't as bad. I remember my parents divorcing when i had just turned six. At first, it didn't even know what was going on. I just thought, that it was cool to have two houses.

• As a kid. The kid will miss out on many memories that won't ever be made together as a family. Divorces take a toll on kids , it confuses them.

• It actually doesn't matter because it still affects the kid in some way or another

• How am I supposed to compare it? My dad left when I was born, so I don't know how the others feel or if anyone of them are worse.

• I say a kid. They won't understand much and if the parents have bad feelings towards each other they can manipulate a child against the other parent.

• as a kid

• Hard to say. I was 13 when my parents split and I was so glad. They had been fighting non-stop for two years.

But my father was a pretty abusive influence in my childhood, so while I understood the divorce when they did it, I still wish my father had been out of our lives much earlier.

• Mine did when i was about 15 and it was really though although i didn't admit it and never talked about it with them. It must really friend on the situation too but i'd think if you were really young you would get used to it better, maybe?(around max 3 yrs)
    Then again, if you are a bit older you understans them more and want them to be happy even if it's separate.